[comp.unix.questions] tar help

gefuchs@goedel.uucp (Gill E. Fuchs) (06/30/89)

hello net,

suppose i want to tar an entire accound into a tar file named
GUGU.tar

then i type (at the ~ directory)
	tar cvf GUGU.tar .

but after sometime tar tars GUGU.tar recorsively upon itself,
now i have tried all kinds of combinations with the X option for
tar but to no avail, i guess i cannot milk the correct command out of
the man pages

help?

thank you
gill

maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath) (06/30/89)

gefuchs@goedel.uucp (Gill E. Fuchs) writes:
\suppose i want to tar an entire accound into a tar file named
\GUGU.tar
\
\then i type (at the ~ directory)
\	tar cvf GUGU.tar .
\
\but after sometime tar tars GUGU.tar recorsively upon itself,
\now i have tried all kinds of combinations with the X option for
\tar but to no avail, i guess i cannot milk the correct command out of
\the man pages

The man pages are somewhat unclear indeed.
Commands:

	$ cat > excluded
	./excluded
	./GUGU.tar
	$ tar cvfX GUGU.tar excluded .
or
	$ tar cvXf excluded GUGU.tar .

Conclusively: the first file is for the first option (that needs a file)
and so on.
--
"I HATE arbitrary limits, especially when |Maarten Litmaath @ VU Amsterdam:
   they're small."  (Stephen Savitzky)    |maart@cs.vu.nl, mcvax!botter!maart

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (07/01/89)

In article <1731@cmx.npac.syr.edu> gefuchs@logiclab.cis.syr.edu (Gill E. Fuchs) writes:
 >suppose i want to tar an entire accound into a tar file named
 >GUGU.tar
 >
 >then i type (at the ~ directory)
 >	tar cvf GUGU.tar .
 >
 >but after sometime tar tars GUGU.tar recorsively upon itself,
 >now i have tried all kinds of combinations with the X option for
 >tar but to no avail, i guess i cannot milk the correct command out of
 >the man pages

Note Maarten Litmath's follow-up for correct 'X' option syntax.

If all else fails, i.e. if using the 'X' option doesn't work with your
version of tar, try this:

	tar cvf /tmp/GUGU.tar .

or wherever you (a) can find some space and (b) have write permission.
You can still 'mv' the tar file back into GUGU's $HOME afterwards.

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (07/01/89)

From article <2822@solo10.cs.vu.nl>, by maart@cs.vu.nl (Maarten Litmaath):
X> gefuchs@goedel.uucp (Gill E. Fuchs) writes:
X> \suppose i want to tar an entire accound into a tar file named
X> \GUGU.tar
X> \then i type (at the ~ directory)
X> \	tar cvf GUGU.tar .
X> \
> \but after sometime tar tars GUGU.tar recorsively upon itself,
> 	$ cat > excluded
> 	./excluded
> 	./GUGU.tar
> 	$ tar cvfX GUGU.tar excluded .

Overkill.
	$ tar -cvpf /usr/tmp/GUGU.tar .

will do what was required.  The problem is to make sure the tar
file is not created in a place that tar is going to find when it
is archiving.

--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

samlb@magellan.arc.nasa.gov (Samuel B. Bassett) (07/02/89)

	Simple:

	cd ~
	mkdir tmp
	cd tmp
	tar cvf GUGU.tar ..
	mv GUGU.tar <wherever>
	cd ..
	rmdir tmp

	Actually, the last parameter (directory to archive) can be
anything -- you could say:

	cd ~
	tar cvf bin.tar /bin

and it would happily tar the contents of /bin into your directory
(presuming, of course, that your quota is big enough).

:-)  So you expected TFM to be in English, and useful?  Nu?  :-)

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 694-4792;  Home: (415) 454-7282
samlb%well@lll-crg.ARPA                 samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov
<Standard Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

bbausch@hpbbse.HP.COM (Bernd Bausch) (07/04/89)

> suppose i want to tar an entire accound into a tar file named
> GUGU.tar
>
> then i type (at the ~ directory)
> 	tar cvf GUGU.tar .
>
> but after sometime tar tars GUGU.tar recorsively upon itself,
> now i have tried all kinds of combinations with the X option for
> tar but to no avail, i guess i cannot milk the correct command out of
> the man pages

	If there is no filename starting with "." in ~, do

	tar cvf .GUGU.tar *.

	If there is no filename starting with "Y" in ~, do

	tar cvf YGUGU.tar [!Y]*

	and so on...

	Bernd.

In article <762@lilink.UUCP> mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>	tar cvf /tmp/GUGO.tar .

However, there is at least one system I work on that does not maintain
enough temporary space so that I can tar all my stuff into it (and
recently it ran out of space in my home partition, so I'm stuck real
good... for the nonce :-)  The simple solution is (in csh):

 	rm -f GUGU.tar
 	tar cvf GUGU.tar ./{.??*,*}

The shell performs filename expansion before tar(1) is run by the shell,
and therefore before GUGU.tar is created.

You might be tempted to go into a subdirectory of your own and use
 "~/{.??*,*}" instead of "./{.??*,*}", but then you are not excluding
 the parent directory of GUGU.tar from the list of files tar'red, and
 you end up with the partially[1] recursive problem.

    [1] "partially", because only that part of GUGU.tar which is complete
    when tar(1) gets to that name will actually be read.

Actually, if your tar(1) supports the "exclusion" (-X) option, use it.
At least one that I use doesn't.

				--Blair
				  "Yeah, that's the ticket."

larry@macom1.UUCP (Larry Taborek) (07/05/89)

From article <1731@cmx.npac.syr.edu>, by gefuchs@goedel.uucp (Gill E. Fuchs):
> hello net,
>
> suppose i want to tar an entire accound into a tar file named
> GUGU.tar
>
> then i type (at the ~ directory)
> 	tar cvf GUGU.tar .
>
> but after sometime tar tars GUGU.tar recorsively upon itself,
> now i have tried all kinds of combinations with the X option for
> tar but to no avail, i guess i cannot milk the correct command out of
> the man pages
>
> help?

Gill,

Start your tars on the directory level ABOVE the directory you
wish to copy.  IE:

you have a directory /usr/GUNU
you
cd /usr
tar -cvf GUNU.tar GUNU

Now the directory GUNU and all below it will be put into the file
GUNU.tar.  As the file GUNU.tar is not in the path of the backup,
it will not create you any problems.

--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry@macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive

thoyt@ddn-wms.arpa (Thomas Hoyt) (07/06/89)

>From: "Gill E. Fuchs" <gefuchs@goedel.uucp>
>Subject: tar help

>suppose i want to tar an entire accound into a tar file named
>GUGU.tar

   Try this:

   Move to the directory above the directory you want to archive.
   Type:
      tar cvf - ./foo  > GUGU.tar

      where foo is the name of the directory you want to archive.

   The "-" tells tar to put the archival output to stdout, not some
   tape drive.

   Good Luck.

******
thoyt@ddn-wms.arpa  |  "Oh no...it's written in COBOL..."  | (Ps. 83:18, KJV)
Thomas Hoyt         |  "Government Computers for Government business..."
Network Mgmt, Inc., Fairfax, VA -- 703-359-9400       |  "NO FUN ALLOWED..."
******

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (08/08/89)

gefuchs@goedel.uucp (Gill E. Fuchs) writes:
>suppose i want to tar an entire accound into a tar file named
>GUGU.tar
>then i type (at the ~ directory)
>	tar cvf GUGU.tar .
>but after sometime tar tars GUGU.tar recorsively upon itself,

I have had this problem as well. The solution is of course that you are
saying "Tar every file in this directory". GUGO.tar happens to be one of
them. To get around this I usually do like so:

	tar cvf /tmp/GUGO.tar .

And that takes care of the problem.