[net.music] My View of MTV

tommyo (05/11/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/7/83; site ihuxw.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 12:36:22 EDT
Organization:BTL Naperville, Il.

Since we got MTV on our cable system about 6 months ago, it`s usually
on if there`s nothing else good on, or if my 11-year-old sister wants
to watch tv.  I enjoy watching it once in a while, though most of the
songs are too hard rock-heavy metal for me.  I hate when the only
thing in a video is the band in concert.  If you`re gonna do a video,
you should be creative.  Billy Joel`s "Pressure" is pretty good, and
I have liked Duran Duran`s stuff.  Other faves include the Gogos,
Greg Kihn`s "Jeopardy" and "There`s Something Going On".  As you
can see, I`ve basically liked the ones that have made Top 40.
I would say, though, that the target age is the 12-20 year old group.

As far as being narrow-minded is concerned, they can play whatever they
want too.  So what if they don`t have a lot of black artists?  That`s
not their format.  Would you expect to hear a lot of white artists
on a basically black radio station?  No!  I have found it interesting
that for a new wave-rock type format, you do get Collin`s "Can`t Hurry
Love" and a few months ago, you could see "Ebony & Ivory" or "She`s got
a Way".

How about the VJ`s?  J.J. Jackson is good, I think, and I also like
Alan Hunter.  Marc Goodman is a little too much for me, and I don`t
like Nina Blackwood at all, too "like, wow, man" for me.  My fave
is Martha Quinn, without a doubt.  She`s knowledgeable, like the J.J.
and Alan, and is SO CUTE!  I have heard that they are not live, however,
but record their spots.

I think MTV is a good idea, and hope the creative juices that artists
have can really make it into something really worth watching all the
time.

I do wish they would have better station IDs at the top of the hour.
I`m sick of the spacemen planting the MTV flag on the moon.

Tom O`Connor
ihuxw!tommyo