[comp.unix.questions] problem with dump to remote host

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/08/89)

Can someone explain this error message to me?  Dump is being
used like so:

dump 9fcsbnu dumphost:/dev/rst8 3825 1750 /dev/rxy0g

and the error message that comes back is

dump: protocol to remote tape server botched (in rmtgets)

It fails for one system that's being dumped this way, but works
fine for the other.

--Ed

In article <764@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>and the error message that comes back is

>dump: protocol to remote tape server botched (in rmtgets)

>It fails for one system that's being dumped this way, but works
>fine for the other.

Should have mentioned -- these systems are Sun 3's running SunOS 3.4.

--Ed