[comp.unix.questions] INFO-UNIX Digest V8#027

RLN101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (Marshall Feldman) (08/08/89)

Re. local command line editing

The Korn shell allows the user to specify an editor and then uses a similar
style to edit command lines.  For example, if vi is my editor of choice and
I type "ls file", I can then hit the following sequence: Esc b i -l Esc
to insert the desired -l.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (08/09/89)

In article <20539@adm.BRL.MIL> RLN101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (Marshall Feldman) writes:
>Re. local command line editing
>The Korn shell allows the user to specify an editor and then uses a similar
>style to edit command lines.

Yeah, a lot of shells (including our Bourne shell) have similar support.
The original request was for a way to obtain such editing other than when
typing at the shell, e.g. for terminal input to an application program.