[comp.unix.questions] Common kill character?

ccea3@rivm.UUCP (Adri Verhoef) (08/09/89)

For many years we have used control-x as the common kill character
on all our VAXen.
Through the years we moved from V7 via BSD4.1 to System V.2 and
now we're mainly running System V.3.
Recently, we were told that ^u is more commonly used, or is common
as the kill character.

I know that '@' is in use, but I think that a CTRL-character is
used on most UNIX-systems after being logged in, not '@'.

My questions:
	- Is ^x in use anywhere as the common kill character?
	  (e.g. via /etc/profile)
	- Is it advisable to change our kill char into '^u'?
	  (of course after informing and convincing our users)
--
Adri Verhoef, (rivm!a3@mcvax.uucp) site administrator of the
National Institute for Public Health and Environmental Protection (RIVM).

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/10/89)

In article <1440@rivm05.UUCP> ccea3@rivm.UUCP (Adri Verhoef) writes:
>... Is ^x in use anywhere as the common kill character?
>... Is it advisable to change our kill char into '^u'?

This is a `user preference' issue.  As such, no matter what you choose,
someone will complain.

The only sensible approach to choosing site defaults is to choose site
defaults.