==================================

Date: 	Mon, 7 Aug 89 10:32:56 EDT
From: watmath!xenicon!johnk (John Kincaide - consultant)

                             H E L P ! !
			 W  A  N  T  E  D !!
   -->  A N  N F S (or workalike) N E T W O R K I N G  S O F T W A R E  <--
          --->  F O R  S C O  X E N I X  S Y S T E M  V   <---
           --->  286 VERSION 2.3.2  & 386 VERSION 3.2   <---
                       FOR STANDARD IBM AT BUS

The Situation:

A client of ours wants to establish the following Ethernet network:

- 20 IBM PC/AT compatibles running Xenix 286
- 2 Advanced Logic Research 386 33mhz AT bus systems  Running SCO Xenix 386 2.3
- 2 Export 2000 from Excelan  to communicate via RS232 link to 12 proprietary
  boards.

This is a intensive programming environment using cross compilers and
database systems - They have requested this because a Convergent product
is being overwhelmed and they want a distributed file and processing system
in order to get higher throughput.  There will be high network traffic
with any 20 programmers sending output from their 286 systems to any of
the 12 proprietary boards.  These boards contain a Mortorola 68000 system
which they will send compiled code through the network and then establish
a RS232 connection with the board via the Export 2000's as a terminal session
between the 286 stations and the proprietary board.

 ** As you can see there will be very high level of network traffic ***
 ** The 386 systems will be the main file servers containing source code
and databases **

 ** But They must be able to have complete file transparency **
 ** That is our problem! and that is why we need a NFS product instead
of Xenix-Net..  See problem below **

Problem:

We intend to use Excelan LanWorkPlace for Xenix 386 and 286 to set up the
network and then use Xenix-Net to access the files across the network.
(Note Xenix-net & Excelan LanWorkPlace uses "streams" to communicate with the
Kernel)

Using Xenix-Net a user access a file in a different machine by identifying
the name of the machine. This means that all the users must know the
complete topology of the network.  This is going to be very cumbersome if
there are 22 computers and 12 other ethernet address.  The programming
staff will go *NUTS* figuring out where the data and source code is.

In Xenix-Net to get info from another machine like this:

cat //server2/usr/johnk/source/look.c

where;
a) server2 is the name of the 2nd 386 server on the network and is the
machine name

b) /usr/johnk/source  is the directory on that 2nd computer

c) look.c  is the program source code.

What we need is the following

cat /usr/johnk/source/look.c

Where;

a) the NFS will maintain a table of all the directories on all the computers
on the network and then make a change to that directory WITHOUT SPECIFING
THE MACHINE NAME.   I assume if there are 2 exact directories on two or more
machines, then NFS will then prompt the user for which machine.

MUCH Thanks!  (If you do find out about such a product after the deadline then
please let us know.  A small but interesting facts will help you from
not investigating dead ends:

1) SCO will not be releasing a NFS product for Xenix -

2) SCO Will be releasing a NFS product for System V SCO Unix 3.2 but
only on the Unix platform and not until late September early October 1986.

3) The SCO Unix platform will not operate under the intel 286.

HELP!!! Is needed as soon as possible -

---> Note - Although it is a public Holiday in Ontario, Canada on Monday
August 7, 1989 - P L E A S E  C A L L  A N Y W A Y ! We will be here working
away and would love to here from anybody who can solve this problem. <----

JOHN KINCAIDE, SALES REPRESENTATIVE
XENICON, 8131 KEELE STREET, UNIT #10
CONCORD, ONTARIO, CANADA

PHONE (416) 738-5560 for anywhere in North America

Outside North America, Your Local Country Access
Code to Get       +    1          + 416            + 738-5560
to International   (Country Code)  (North America)  (Local Number)
Telephone System   (For Canada)     (Area Code)

You May reverse the telephone Charges.

my uucp address is ...!{uunet}!utai!lsuc!xenicon!johnk

Sincerely Yours

John Kincaide