[comp.unix.questions] Free databases

hsu@kampi.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu) (07/31/89)

What I need:
- Free distribution (GNU style is ok)
- Multiple indices
- Some query capability (*? + and/or is ok)
- Unix, preferably BSD environment
- Capability to handle some Megabytes of stuff

What I don't necessarily need:
- Speed
- Multi-user capability (simple server, running alone)
- Crash-proof (except capability to rebuild indices if needed, lost
information isn't serious problem.

What would be nice:
- Ascii files

I'm willing to beta-test and write code myself, incomplete work or
even ideas and half-made subroutines help.

-
 Heikki Suonsivu @ 2:504/1 2:504/7  Kuutamokatu 5 A 7/02210 Espoo/FINLAND
..!mcvax!santra!kampi!hsu hsu@fingate.BITNET hsu@kampi.hut.fi
voice +358-0-1351300 fax -1351948 v22bis -1351526 Os/2, better never than later

rob@phavl.UUCP (Robert Ransbottom) (08/01/89)

From article <24090@santra.UUCP>, by hsu@kampi.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu):
> What I need:
>    [... a free database for Unix ...]
> I'm willing to beta-test and write code myself, incomplete work or
> even ideas and half-made subroutines help.

There is  /rdb which is a shell level database -- this is not free
but low-cost.  I mention /rdb because it is not totally unknown.
And because there is a /udb which is being developed by one||some
people on the Compuserve unixforum.  /udb sounds like a very young
freeware /rdb.
--
 ...!uunet!phavl!rob              Robert Ransbottom

mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) (08/08/89)

You might try db_VISTA from Raima.  I used it a few years ago.  It's
good quality.  There are no licenses to worry about.  Source is
available.  I think pricing is in the $300-500 range.  They have an
ad in the July issue of BYTE.

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (08/14/89)

In article <437@alias.UUCP> mherman@alias.UUCP (Michael Herman) writes:
>You might try db_VISTA from Raima.  I used it a few years ago.  It's
>good quality.  There are no licenses to worry about.  Source is
>available.  I think pricing is in the $300-500 range.  They have an
>ad in the July issue of BYTE.

Try again. db_Vista is now a very professional product with very professional
pricing. Advertising costs money and all that.

We bought just the multi-user version therof and you'll need to factor your
listed prices by at least 10 to be in the right neighborhood.

Actually with the Query/SQL and restructure part you'd be around $7K

Of course, getting the source makes all the difference in the world to justify
your development costs for a very long time across any range of hardware the
future may hold.

Fred Rump

--
This is my house.   My castle will get started right after I finish with news.
26 Warren St.             uucp:          ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr