[comp.unix.questions] anonymous login

gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) (08/15/89)

A friend of mine tried to set up an 'anonymous' ftp account for me
on a Unisys 5000/80 running System V.2.  We found that rsh restricts
correctly when logging in to the account directly.  However, when that
same account is accessed remotely by ftp, rsh does not restrict.  At
the top of the public directory that my friend set up for the anonymous
account, he was unable to do a cd .. when logged in directly; however,
when logged in by ftp, both he and I could.

Another strange thing was that originally he tried to call the account
"anonymous".  However, that account would only allow access when
logging in directly; if you attempted to log in to the account by ftp,
it said the acount was unknown.  He then changed the name to public and
I could log in but with the cd problem described above.  What gives?
Is there something we missed.  Thanks for any help.

Cheers--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
(used to be <gaspar@almsa-1.arpa>)

drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) (08/16/89)

Al Gaspar writes:

>A friend of mine tried to set up an 'anonymous' ftp account for me
>on a Unisys 5000/80 running System V.2.  We found that rsh restricts
>correctly when logging in to the account directly.  However, when that
>same account is accessed remotely by ftp, rsh does not restrict.  At
>the top of the public directory that my friend set up for the anonymous
>account, he was unable to do a cd .. when logged in directly; however,
>when logged in by ftp, both he and I could.

  All the ftp server does is check to see if the account exists on
the machine and checks for the password.  Also, it checks the file
/usr/etc/ftpusers for the account name.  If the account name is
there it will not allow that account to be used for ftp.  If you
have src you might want to have the server check to see what is in
the login-shell portion of the /etc/passwd entry; depending upon
what is there deny or restrict access.

>Another strange thing was that originally he tried to call the account
>"anonymous".  However, that account would only allow access when
>logging in directly; if you attempted to log in to the account by ftp,
>it said the acount was unknown.  He then changed the name to public and
>I could log in but with the cd problem described above.  What gives?
>Is there something we missed.  Thanks for any help.
  An anonymous account is different than anonymous
ftp.  Ftp is set up so that if the user ftp exists and the directory
/usr/spool/ftp exists, anonymous ftp will be allowed and the
anonymous ftp user will be put in the /usr/spool/ftp directory.  An
account name "anonymous"  is probably not a good choice for a name.

>Cheers--
>
>Al

  I hope quick & dirty answer helps.  See the man pages for
ftpusers, ftp, anf ftpd.

Dennis