[comp.unix.questions] netnews under Interactive

root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) (08/16/89)

Is anyone running netnews under Interactive?  Do any mods need to
be made to the code in order for it to compile?

I am considering switching from SCO 2.3.1 to Interactive Unix and
would like to continue running XBBS - the binaries should run just
fine since Interactive claims they support Xenix, but do they?

--
Larry Snyder                          uucp: iuxax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern STAR XBBS/Usenet Site    219-287-9020 (VHST) - 219-289-3745 (PEP+)

davr@hrtix.UUCP (David C. Raines) (08/17/89)

In article <73@nstar.UUCP>, root@nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> Is anyone running netnews under Interactive?  Do any mods need to
> be made to the code in order for it to compile?

I got the source for bnews-2.11 from UUNET.  Other than the standard
localize.sh changes for USG/SysV, the only thing that wouldn,t compile
was virtterm.c.   Add the following includes:

	#include <sys/stream.h>
	#include <sys/ptem.h>

The 'winsize' structure is defined in ptem.h, which is dependent on stream.h.
Apparently this is a change from earlier versions.
--
--					TCA
David Raines				5 National Dr.

paine@rust.dec.com (Willy Paine) (08/18/89)

Only rn from SCO works fine with ix/386 if you are using newest
Xenix/AT or Xenix/386 but you need to build news from scratch.  C News
works great with some minor bugs that I need to tune up little more.  My
nn program (news reader) works great.    I think C News is easier for me
to install than B news, even I have tried to install both.  Before you
run build program in C News, have your manual, paper and pen ready and
this will ask you alot of question on command, library functions and
other environment.   Be sure to add rnews in /usr/lib/uucp/Permission
and it is found in system adm manual for ix/386.   Right now my ix/386
is polling for email and news every hour but incomming call is not
working yet.  I am using Telebit right now.

My fidonet address 1:343/15 and this is VHST modem.
You can send email to my house uunet!nwnexus!seaeast!willyp

If you are successful with B News, let me know.

willy

p.s. my company has fast email/news service but it is hard to reply each
news because decwrl is so dumb mailer and I need full pathname address
to reply.  I am using rn at work.