[net.cooks] Drunken Prune Cake recipe

oday@hplabsc.UUCP (Vicki O'Day) (12/11/85)

This is a recipe from a new cookbook called "The Feast of Santa Fe".
(I don't remember the author right now.)  It's very good, and
not as complicated as it sounds.  The author says it derives
from Basque cookery, and he suggests it for holiday time as a
alternative to fruitcake.  It is fine made a day ahead.

		 DRUNKEN PRUNE CAKE

For 1 large 9-inch cake, serving at least 8 people:
      (NOTE:  It's quite rich, so it really serves 12)

FOR PRUNES AND WINE:
  20 prunes (about 1 1/4 cups), pitted
      (NOTE:  I used the measure, since prunes vary so much in size)
  1/2 cup Madeira or ruby port (or 1/2 cup orange juice)
      (NOTE:  I added a bit more Madeira, maybe a tablespoon)

FOR CAKE BATTER:
  3 large eggs
  1 cup sugar
  3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks)
  1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
  2 teaspoons baking powder
  1/3 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice (grate the peel and set aside)
     (NOTE:  The finest grating edge you have is the best -
	     such as the one you use for parmesan cheese)
  1 teaspoon vanilla
  1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt, if the butter is unsalted

FOR CUSTARD:
  1/3 cup sugar
  1 tablepoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  3/4 cup scalded milk
  2 egg yolks
  Grated orange peel (above)
  1 teaspoon vanilla

Cut the prunes into quarters with kitchen shears, place in a small
bowl with the wine, cover and allow to plump at room temperature
overnight.  If you are short of time, the prunes can be plumped almost
as well by setting the covered bowl containing the prunes and wine
in a pan of simmering water for 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the
dryness of the prunes.  (For a cake without wine, plump the prunes
in 1/2 cup fresh orange juice.)  (NOTE:  The Madeira was very good -
I don't recommend skipping it unless you have to.)  Have the prunes
at room temperature by baking time, whichever method you choose.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. and place a rack in the middle.
Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan, or a regular 9-inch
cake pan at least 2 inches deep, preferably coated with a nonstick
surface.  (If you are skillful at spreading batter thin - see the
assembly procedure below - it is possible to make a 10-inch cake;
in that case, reduce baking time to 45 to 50 minutes.)  (NOTE:  I
am not very skillful, but I have used both a 9 1/2 and a 10 inch
springform pan with no trouble.)

Cream the sugar and butter, then add the eggs.  The butter and sugar
may still be grainy, but that is all right.  Add the flour, baking
powder, orange juice (not the peel), vanilla, nutmeg and optional
salt.  Mix until a smooth batter is reached, scraping the bowl
occasionally.  Set the batter aside while you make the custard.

For the custard, first mix the sugar and cornstarch together in a small
saucepan, then pour in the scalded milk in a steady stream, stirring
constantly to prevent lumps.  (NOTE:  Making the custard will go much
faster if the scalded milk is still very hot when you mix it with the
sugar, but it will work even if it's not.)  Whisk in the egg yolks and
place over low heat.  Stir constantly until the custard thickens, but
don't let it boil.  Be patient and resist the urge to raise the heat -
it will take a good 8 to 10 minutes before the custard is as stiff as
mayonnaise.  Remove from the heat, stir in the grated orange peel and
vanilla and set the pan in cold water; beat for a minute to cool the
custard.

ASSEMBLY AND BAKING:  Using an ordinary table knife, spread a scant
half of the cake batter in a thin, even layer across the bottom of
the prepared cake pan.  (NOTE:  it's easier to use a butter knife,
or something with a very short handle.)  Drop the custard by spoonfuls
all over the surface of the batter and in turn spread it evenly with
your knife - but leave a margin of 1/2 inch around the outside and
try not to disturb the cake batter.

Dot the custard layer completely with the prunes and drizzle any
remaining wine over.  Now form the top layer of batter, dropping it
by spoonfuls all over the prunes and spreading as evenly as you can
with your knife.  Cover the filling well enough so that no prunes
are left peeking out.

Level the top, making sure that there is no hump in the center.  Bake
in the middle of the oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour.  Since the outside
of the cake cooks much more quickly than the center, turn the heat down
to 350 degrees F. for the last 15 minutes of baking time to prevent
overbaking.  The cake is done when the center is risen and browned and
the sides drawn away from the pan.  Inserting a knife into the middle
of the cake is only a rough test.  It should not come out heavily coated,
for that means the batter is still raw, but it should look moist, since
you want the custard to remain soft.  Cool the cake in the pan thoroughly,
loosen the edges with a knife and remove the outside of the springform.
Dust with powdered sugar (using a sifter is easiest) and keep covered
with plastic wrap.

This cake is delicious served plan or with a dollop of whipped cream
on the side, perhaps spiked with a teaspoon or so of the same wine that
plumped the prunes.  The slices are also good slightly rewarmed.

Vicki O'Day
hplabs!oday

chai@utflis.UUCP (H. Chai) (12/18/85)

In article <5@hplabsc.UUCP> oday@hplabsc.UUCP (Vicki O'Day) writes:
>For the custard, first mix the sugar and cornstarch together in a small
>saucepan, then pour in the scalded milk in a steady stream, stirring
>constantly to prevent lumps.

An easier way is to reserve about 2 tbsp. of the milk before you scald
it.  Mix the cornstarch and this cold milk into a paste.  Pour the scalded
milk all at once into the sugar, stir the paste again and add that in.
Since cornstrach is used in stir-fry dishes as the sauce thickener,
trust *ME* to know its properties.  :-)

>Grease and flour a 9-inch springform pan, or a regular 9-inch
>cake pan at least 2 inches deep, preferably coated with a nonstick
>surface.  ...
>Level the top, making sure that there is no hump in the center.

I have a question : how do I prevent a cake from coming out of
the oven looking like a pyramid? i.e. the center having risen much
higher than the sides.  I seem to recall that the SIDES of the pan
must not be greased in order to prevent this; I don't know where I
read this but could someone clarify/correct me?

BTW, this sounds like a very interesting recipe.  Must try it
this holiday.

Mewwy Chwistmas to awl!
--
Henry Chai, just a humble student at the
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto