[comp.unix.questions] Apollo--4.2 BSD DOMAIN/IX

chung@CS.UOREGON.EDU (08/22/89)

Hi, E-buddies:

	Please accept my apology if my question is put in the wrong
group.  Recently, I connected an Apollo workstation (BSD DOMAIN/IX) to
the local area network (Ethernet) at the University of Oregon.  But I
got a problem.  I cannot rlogin the Apollo workstation.  The message
(double underlined) I got back is

% rlogin apollo
rlogind: All network ports in use.
==================================

When I tried telnet, it seemed working but I got another painful
message as soon as logged on:

% telnet apollo
Trying...
Connected to apollo-gateway.
Escape character is '^]'.

4.2 BSD DOMAIN/IX (uo_apollo_1)

login: root
Password:

Welcome to BSD4.2 DOMAIN/IX!
B# ls
acl_protos			patches
Connection closed by foreign host.
==================================

I thought it might be that the port that the Apollo tried to use is
occupied by another host, however, I did not find any.  Can anyone tell
me what is wrong with it, or give me some hints?

Thanks in advance.

Wing

Wingkuen Chung
P. O. Box 3120                          | chung@cs.uoregon.edu
Eugene, OR 97403                        | University of Oregon.

jackv@turnkey.gryphonTCC.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (08/23/89)

In article <8908212119.AA20387@spencer.cs.uoregon.edu> chung@CS.UOREGON.EDU writes:

>	Please accept my apology if my question is put in the wrong
>group.  Recently, I connected an Apollo workstation (BSD DOMAIN/IX) to
>the local area network (Ethernet) at the University of Oregon.  But I
>got a problem.  I cannot rlogin the Apollo workstation.  The message
>(double underlined) I got back is

>rlogind: All network ports in use.

>When I tried telnet, it seemed working but I got another painful
>message as soon as logged on:

>Connection closed by foreign host.

Just a guess but I would say you might have one of two problems, either your
system doesn't have any ptyp's and/or ttyp's made in the /dev directory, this
should be easy enough to check; or your kernel may not be configured with these
drivers actually in it. To check if that is the case, assuming you find, say,
/dev/ttyp0, try and cat > /dev/ttyp0 and see if you get some message like
"no such device or address". If this does happen you are going to have to
reconfigure and build a new kernel.

If it turns out that you simply have no /dev/ttyp* or /dev/ptyp* all you have
to worry about is what majors to use and mknod them.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -