[comp.unix.questions] Interactive 386/ix 2.0.1 and X11.3 1.0.0

WIESEL%DKAUNI0P.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Joachim Wiesel) (08/24/89)

Hi there,

some problem observed running Interactive 386/ix 2.0.1 un X11.3 1.0.0:

When I have started X (via the startx-script), sendmail disappears!
The process seems to die silently. I have 3.75 MB of memory in my machine.
After restarting it via:

/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q30m &

I get these error messages:

..date time... local sendmail[3533]:NOQUEUE:SYSERR:getrequests:cannot bind:\
                ERROR 112
..date time... local sendmail[3533]:cannot get connection

Only a coldstart will help to get sendmail up and running again!!!
Anyone an idea, what's going on?
Joachim
Joachim Wiesel, Department of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (IPF)
Karlsruhe University,                      P.O.Box 6980, Englerstr. 7
D-7500 Karlsruhe, West-Germany,                Tel.: +49 721 608 2316

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (08/26/89)

In article <20702@adm.BRL.MIL> WIESEL%DKAUNI0P.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Joachim Wiesel) writes:

>When I have started X (via the startx-script), sendmail disappears!
>The process seems to die silently. I have 3.75 MB of memory in my machine.

There is a memory-management problem in the 2.0.1 kernel, when some processes
get swapped out they no longer appear in the process table or some such
thing, I forget the exact details. And since you are trying to run X in such
a small amount of memory sendmail is swapped out and "disappears", if you
run quite a few X clients you will notice some of them disappearing as well.
(What "disappear" means is that a ps listing will not show them.)
This has to be one of the most annoying bugs in 2.0.1 and I would strongly
recommend that you call ISC for the 2.0.2 upgrade which fixes it. If you have
purchased since May 31 I believe it is free.

>After restarting it via:

>/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q30m &

>I get these error messages:
>..date time... local sendmail[3533]:NOQUEUE:SYSERR:getrequests:cannot bind:\
>                ERROR 112
>..date time... local sendmail[3533]:cannot get connection

What I said above implies that you only think the process has died and thus
when you try and start another copy it cannot bind to the already bound port.
At least I am about 95% sure this is what is happening.

GET THE UPGRADE!! I think your problem will disappear, oh yes, almost as impor-
tant, if you really want to run X also get more memory!!!! :-}

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -