[comp.unix.questions] Programmable function keys

vlcek@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Jim Vlcek) (08/26/89)

On the security problem arising from programmable function keys being
reprogrammed by output from programs like finger or cat, I think that
the fault here lies with the too-trusting terminal, not with Unix
terminal drivers.  The normal operation mode of a terminal, it seems
to me, should be to ignore attempts to reprogram it from its serial
port, and to accept such attempts only when configured to do so.  Such
configuration, of course, would be a setup option.

The ideal terminal would demand a password to reprogram any keys or
configure the terminal to accept programming over the serial line.
This would disallow coworkers from rebinding F10 from "logout<CR>" to
"rm -rf .", or something similar, while you're out getting coffee.

Jim Vlcek (vlcek@caf.mit.edu  uunet!mit-caf!vlcek)

In article <1815@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu> fuat@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu (Fuat C. Baran) writes:
>Just out of curiosity, what unix applications make use of a terminal's
>capability to rebind function keys and/or have it type back arbitrary
>data on command?

I don't know any specific Unix applications that do this (Unix
applications tend not to rely on features not supported by most
terminals), but I can certainly imagine generic applications that
could use the ability.

Someone else already mentioned programming function keys at login
time.  Another use would be to remap the keyboard completely, say to
Dvorak style (yes, there *are* terminals that let you remap any key --
I believe the Ann Arbor Ambassador can do this).  Editors and
forms-filling programs might want to do this, too.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar