[comp.unix.questions] Convergent MiniFrame Diskettes

dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) (08/31/89)

In support of the Goodwill Games in Seattle (that's supposed to make you
want to help, it snagged me ;-) ),
There is a donated Convergent MiniFrame running SysV 2.0, or something
close to it.  We are gathering data on various donated PC-clones.
The Convergent has a 5 1/4" diskette, driven by a WD2797 that I know is
physically capable of read-write of MSDOS 360K diskettes, since the same
diskette hardware under the Convergent CTOS has an MSWRITE and MSREAD utility.
Not for UNIX however.
I need either a program or some portion of 'c' source that might get me
started in that direction.
The drive is normally 720K, 96TPI but only double density (unlike the 3B1).
We're currently transferring via Kermit from the one PC at the central site.

--
Clarence A Dold - dold@tsmiti.Convergent.COM
		...pyramid!ctnews!tsmiti!dold

jcm@mtunb.ATT.COM (was-John McMillan) (09/01/89)

In article <1210@mitisft.Convergent.COM> dold@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
:
>There is a donated Convergent MiniFrame running SysV 2.0, or something
>close to it.   ...
>The Convergent has a 5 1/4" diskette, driven by a WD2797 that I know is
>physically capable of read-write of MSDOS 360K diskettes, since the same
>diskette hardware under the Convergent CTOS has an MSWRITE and MSREAD utility.
>Not for UNIX however.
>I need either a program or some portion of 'c' source that might get me
>started in that direction.
>The drive is normally 720K, 96TPI but only double density (unlike the 3B1).
:

The game is, ya gotta use only every other track.

When we had a few MF's around, the driver permitted READING UnixPC
floppies on the MF.  I seem to recall the driver we had was a hack
from CT and I don't know it was ever "released".
(CT should have SOME record of the earlier driver.)

Writing SINGLE DENSITY floppies is a more questionable game:
start with a virgin floppy and MAYBE one properly written on
a double density drive can be read by SINGLE DENSITY systems.

I think Pete Fales has more to add here.

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm