[comp.unix.questions] what is 'frobbed'?

psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh) (09/07/89)

In looking at some unix source code, I've encountered several uses of
the word 'frobbed'.  From the context, it appears that it means
'manipulated in some unspecified way'.  Is this an accurate
interpretation, or is there another meaning?  Is this even a
unix-domain word, or just some neologism generated by a bored
programmer?

dpz@convex.com (David Paul Zimmerman) (09/07/89)

From a well-revered file in the dungeons of $HOME:

FROB 1. n. (MIT) The official Tech Model Railroad Club definition is
   "FROB = protruding arm or trunnion", and by metaphoric extension
   any somewhat small thing.  See FROBNITZ.  2. v. Abbreviated form of
   FROBNICATE.

FROBNICATE v. To manipulate or adjust, to tweak.  Derived from
   FROBNITZ (q.v.).  Usually abbreviated to FROB.  Thus one has the
   saying "to frob a frob".  See TWEAK and TWIDDLE.  Usage: FROB,
   TWIDDLE, and TWEAK sometimes connote points along a continuum.
   FROB connotes aimless manipulation; TWIDDLE connotes gross
   manipulation, often a coarse search for a proper setting; TWEAK
   connotes fine-tuning.  If someone is turning a knob on an
   oscilloscope, then if he's carefully adjusting it he is probably
   tweaking it; if he is just turning it but looking at the screen he
   is probably twiddling it; but if he's just doing it because turning
   a knob is fun, he's frobbing it.

FROBNITZ, pl. FROBNITZEM (frob'nitsm) n. An unspecified physical
   object, a widget.  Also refers to electronic black boxes.  This
   rare form is usually abbreviated to FROTZ, or more commonly to
   FROB.  Also used are FROBNULE, FROBULE, and FROBNODULE.  Starting
   perhaps in 1979, FROBBOZ (fruh-bahz'), pl. FROBBOTZIM, has also
   become very popular, largely due to its exposure via the Adventure
   spin-off called Zork (Dungeon).  These can also be applied to
   non-physical objects, such as data structures.

TWEAK v. To change slightly, usually in reference to a value.  Also
   used synonymously with TWIDDLE.  See FROBNICATE and FUDGE FACTOR.

TWIDDLE n. 1. tilde (ASCII 176, "~").  Also called "squiggle",
   "sqiggle" (sic--pronounced "skig'gul"), and "twaddle", but twiddle
   is by far the most common term.  2. A small and insignificant
   change to a program.  Usually fixes one bug and generates several
   new ones.  3. v. To change something in a small way.  Bits, for
   example, are often twiddled.  Twiddling a switch or knob implies
   much less sense of purpose than toggling or tweaking it; see
   FROBNICATE.

David Paul Zimmerman                                             dpz@convex.com
CONVEX Computer Corp                                                 convex!dpz

In article <925@manta.NOSC.MIL> psm@manta.nosc.mil (Scot Mcintosh) writes:
>In looking at some unix source code, I've encountered several uses of
>the word 'frobbed'.  From the context, it appears that it means
>'manipulated in some unspecified way'.  Is this an accurate
>interpretation, or is there another meaning?  Is this even a
>unix-domain word, or just some neologism generated by a bored
>programmer?

Yes, you've deduced the meaning correctly.

It's not a Unix neologism, but a hacker neologism, which came from MIT
in the 60's or 70's.  It comes from the noun "frob", which is a short
form of the word "frobozz" (if you've ever played Zork, you've
probably seen this word), which are hacker jargon for "thing".
Another verb form that used to be used was "frobnicate", but this
seems to have been supplanted by the verb use of "frob".

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/07/89)

In article <925@manta.NOSC.MIL> psm@manta.nosc.mil (Scot Mcintosh) writes:
>?

Check out the "Hacker's Dictionary", on sale in better bookstores.

lang@PRC.Unisys.COM (Francois-Michel Lang) (09/08/89)

In article <925@manta.NOSC.MIL> psm@manta.nosc.mil (Scot Mcintosh) writes:
>In looking at some unix source code, I've encountered several uses of
>the word 'frobbed'.  From the context, it appears that it means
>'manipulated in some unspecified way'.  Is this an accurate
>interpretation, or is there another meaning?  Is this even a
>unix-domain word, or just some neologism generated by a bored
>programmer?

From the hacker's dictionary:

[...]

Francois-Michel Lang
Paoli Research Center, Unisys         lang@prc.unisys.com      (215) 648-7256
Dept of Comp & Info Science, U of PA  lang@linc.cis.upenn.edu  (215) 898-9511

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (09/09/89)

>In looking at some unix source code, I've encountered several uses of
>the word 'frobbed'.  From the context, it appears that it means
>'manipulated in some unspecified way'.  Is this an accurate
>interpretation, or is there another meaning?  Is this even a
>unix-domain word, or just some neologism generated by a bored
>programmer?

It's short for FROBNIFICATE, c.f. The Hacker's Dictionary.
--
	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202
Internet: bzs@skuld.std.com
UUCP:     encore!xylogics!skuld!bzs or uunet!skuld!bzs

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (09/12/89)

From article <925@manta.NOSC.MIL>, by psm@manta.NOSC.MIL (Scot Mcintosh):
> In looking at some unix source code, I've encountered several uses of
> the word 'frobbed'.  From the context, it appears that it means
> 'manipulated in some unspecified way'.  Is this an accurate
> interpretation, or is there another meaning?  Is this even a
> unix-domain word, or just some neologism generated by a bored
> programmer?

Sorry, but I can't resist this one :-)

Taken (without permission :-P ) from the fortunes.dat database as provided
with BSD 4.3

+--------------------------------------------------------
| Frobnicate, v.:
|	To manipulate or adjust, to tweak.  Derived from FROBNITZ.
| Usually abbreviated to FROB.  Thus one has the saying "to frob a
| frob".  See TWEAK and TWIDDLE.  Usage: FROB, TWIDDLE, and TWEAK
| sometimes connote points along a continuum.  FROB connotes aimless
| manipulation; TWIDDLE connotes gross manipulation, often a coarse
| search for a proper setting; TWEAK connotes fine-tuning.  If someone is
| turning a knob on an oscilloscope, then if he's carefully adjusting it
| he is probably tweaking it; if he is just turning it but looking at the
| screen he is probably twiddling it; but if he's just doing it because
| turning a knob is fun, he's frobbing it.

--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
	....... !harvard!xait!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
AKA:	dg%lakart.uucp@xait.xerox.com			  +---+