[comp.unix.questions] How do I mail from an Internet to a uucp site?

jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) (09/13/89)

I'm sitting here at my Ultrix Internet site and I get mail
from a!b!user@foo.edu...

How do I mail back to this user?  I have not found the right combo
of backslashes, percents, and so on to please my mailer.

Do I type something different depending on whether I'm "in mail"
or typing to the shell?
--
Jeff Percival (jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu)

ask@cbnews.ATT.COM (Arthur S. Kamlet) (09/14/89)

In article <726@larry.sal.wisc.edu> jwp@larry.sal.wisc.edu (Jeffrey W Percival) writes:
>I'm sitting here at my Ultrix Internet site and I get mail
>from a!b!user@foo.edu...
>
>How do I mail back to this user?  I have not found the right combo
>of backslashes, percents, and so on to please my mailer.

It's unfortunate that some system mailer has
mixed "!" and "@" addresses.  That's major trouble.

What you need to do is figure out how to properly parse that address
into either a "!" or "% @" type address, and then parse it yourself.

I prefer "!" addressing, so I might guess

 a!b!user@foo.edu

should be parsed as

 foo.edu!a!b!user

and that's a perfectly good looking mail address.  Unfortunately,
it could be completely wrong.   The correct parse might have been

 a!b!foo.edu!user

or even something else.   Whenever you find mixed "!" and "@" you
must make a good educated guess, and stick with all of one type.
--
Art Kamlet  a_s_kamlet@att.com  AT&T Bell Laboratories, Columbus