[comp.unix.questions] need info re tektronix graphics

robin@ccb.ucsf.edu (Robin Colgrove) (09/15/89)

We recently bought Versaterm Pro for the MacII
and I've been using it for tektronix emulation
to get nice graphics output for some C programs
I wrote for my thesis on the local Vaxen.
(Programs do big genebank searches on the vax,
make graphic output in tektronix langauge, i do
screen capture on the mac end and paste into mac
graphics programs.) Now, all I know about tektronix
is what I find in the relevant man sections of the
unix plot function. It tells me how to make lines,
circles, arcs and stuff and even a few line modes
like dotted and dashed. However, the versaterm manual
refers to an least 7 line styles, text styles, and
fill patterns and shows how to use them for nice color
output which would be really spiffy to put in my
otherwise dull-looking thesis. Problem is, I cannot find
clue 1 as to how to call these functions from within
the programs. Is there some set of functions like

	openpl();
	filltype("crosshatch");
	linestyle("red");
	filledbox(x1,y1,x2,y2);
	closepl();

that are described somewhere that i can find?
i guess i could do a lot of this with pic
(still would like to get the color, though)
but i basically need to get it up on the screen
for easy transfer to the wonderful world of mac graphics.
can anybody point this only semi-compu-literate
biochemist in the right direction?
thanx
robin

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (09/15/89)

In article <2372@ucsfcca.ucsf.edu> robin@ccb.ucsf.edu (Robin Colgrove) writes:
>We recently bought Versaterm Pro for the MacII
>and I've been using it for tektronix emulation

>... Now, all I know about tektronix
>is what I find in the relevant man sections of the
>unix plot function...

To take full advantage of the graphics capabilities of VersaTerm PRO,
you should acquire a Tektronics 4105 manual.  The unix plot library is
for the Tektronix 4014, which is a nice graphics terminal but not
nearly so advanced as the 4105.  Look in the back of your VersaTerm
PRO manual and it should list the publications you need.  There is
also some programming information in the VersaTerm PRO manual, so you
can get started even before you get the publications from Tektronix.

Once you get the integer and coordinate encoding scheme figured out,
the rest is pretty straightforward.

Earle R. Horton