[comp.unix.questions] Wanted: UNIX spreadsheet

sdp@cditi.UUCP (Steve Poling) (09/08/89)

Does anyone out in netland know of a freely distributable (cheap)
Unix spreadsheet program, hopefully written in C, our site doesn't
have a lot of fortran compilers, and my fortran is intentionally
rusty.

Thanks a 10^6,
Steve Poling
CDI Technologies Inc
....uunet!cditi!sdp

In article <573@cditi.UUCP> sdp@cditi.UUCP (Steve Poling) writes:
>Does anyone out in netland know of a freely distributable (cheap)
>Unix spreadsheet program, hopefully written in C, our site doesn't
>have a lot of fortran compilers, and my fortran is intentionally
>rusty.
>
>Thanks a 10^6,
>Steve Poling
>CDI Technologies Inc
>....uunet!cditi!sdp

  Yes.  Volume 18 of the comp.sources.unix archives contain sc6.1 in
four shar files, part01, part02, part03 and part04.  It's a very good
spreadsheet, which comes with lots of documentation.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-4261			      Home: 617-782-0710

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/11/89)

>  Yes.  Volume 18 of the comp.sources.unix archives contain sc6.1 in
>four shar files, part01, part02, part03 and part04.  It's a very good

Well, I just downloaded sc, and it seems to be quite an effort. 2 tips for
compilation under gnu gcc. You need to set -fwritable-strings as an option,
and edit the source files so that your ctl() macros work (no space between
ctl and '(' and quote the character in the call, not the definition. Incidentally,
my computer was a NeXT, running Mach (a BSD 4.3 clone).

The best thing is that it comes with source. The worst thing is that it is
NOT Lotus 1-2-3 compatible, neither in appearance, nor command set nor file
structure. While I understand that file compatibility requires major effort,
I think it would benefit a lot of people if the thing was set up so that
Lotus commands work. I.e. / commands should offer all commands. My second
problem is that I didn't find a way---yet---to read in a free form numerical
database of my own (i.e., where I wish that each number was put in the next
cell.

/ivo	phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

sfreed@tesla.unm.edu (Steve Freed) (09/11/89)

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>The worst thing is that it is NOT Lotus 1-2-3 compatible, neither in
>appearance, nor command set nor file structure.
>I think it would benefit a lot of people if the thing was set up so that
>Lotus commands work.

Well, it looks like you have a big programming job ahead of you.
Please let me know when it is done because I know a lot of
people who would like a copy.

     ...that's why the real powerful ones aren't free.

--
Steve.                sfreed@ariel.unm.edu

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (09/12/89)

In article <5343@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
   >The best thing is that it comes with source. The worst thing is that it is
   >NOT Lotus 1-2-3 compatible, neither in appearance, nor command set nor file
   >structure.

And it doesn't draw pretty little color graphs either. 1/2 :-}
I may be wrong, but didn't James Gosling start on VC {\bf BEFORE}
1-2-3 became the success it is today?

   >   While I understand that file compatibility requires major effort,
   >I think it would benefit a lot of people if the thing was set up so that
   >Lotus commands work. I.e. / commands should offer all commands. My second

I guess we can't please everyone all the time especially if you want
something new and different.  Personally, I like the little bugger of a
program and believe that everything shouldn't go looking like Lotus 1-2-3 or
a Macintosh.  Heck, if that happened someone could get sued(sp?)!!!  Then
again, I wonder what it would take to write a program to convert Loti
spreadsheets to SC form and back?

Still, for running under almost any version of Unix (SysV, BSD, Xenix, et
al), complete with sources, available for FREE!  it's that the best thing
since sliced bread.   Robert Bond, especially, has my kudos for all the work
that has been put into SC/VC making it better and much nicer looking with
each revision!

   >problem is that I didn't find a way---yet---to read in a free form numerical
   >database of my own (i.e., where I wish that each number was put in the next
   >cell.

Try the `psc' utility that came with SC 6.1.   You may have to ``rigid-up''
your free form a little bit but it'll get your numbers in there.

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (09/13/89)

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) writes:

>Try the `psc' utility that came with SC 6.1.   You may have to ``rigid-up''
>your free form a little bit but it'll get your numbers in there.

Is SC 6.1 the latest version?

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (09/15/89)

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
   >rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) writes:
   >>Try the `psc' utility that came with SC 6.1.   You may have to ``rigid-up''
   >>your free form a little bit but it'll get your numbers in there.
   >Is SC 6.1 the latest version?

If you want just the psc utility, I can mail it to you.  It should work with
almost any version.  As to SC 6.1 being the latest: as far as I and the
comp.sources.* archiver know it is.  If anyone know differently please let me
know where I can get it.  Thanks!

		-Rusty-
--

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (09/20/89)

From article <224@fe2o3.UUCP>, by rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock):
:
: And it doesn't draw pretty little color graphs either. 1/2 :-}
: I may be wrong, but didn't James Gosling start on VC {\bf BEFORE}
: 1-2-3 became the success it is today?

Ah, but a few of us who have gnuplot laying around note that it *is* possible
to make little graphs jump out of SC.  Ripping off all the low level
drivers from gnuplot should make the task doable in *someone's* free time.
(My free time is < 0, otherwise I'd be working on it...)
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc
                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet