[comp.unix.questions] Origin and meaning of 'rc' for config files?

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Christopher M. Whatley) (09/15/89)

Well, what is the origin and meaning of 'rc' like newsrc, kermrc etc...
The only thing I can thing of is 'restore configuration'.

Chris
--
Chris Whatley			chari@nueces.cactus.org
P.O. Box 50254			!nueces!chari@cs.utexas.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep14.213204.6618@nueces.cactus.org> chari@nueces.UUCP (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:
>Well, what is the origin and meaning of 'rc' like newsrc, kermrc etc...

A special place in Hell is reserved for those who post this question!
It always starts a raft of silly guesses.

The answer is that it stands for "runcom".  It's probably explained in
"Life With UNIX".

max@lgc.UUCP (Max Heffler @ Landmark Graphics) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep14.213204.6618@nueces.cactus.org>, chari@nueces.cactus.org (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:

> Well, what is the origin and meaning of 'rc' like newsrc, kermrc etc...
> The only thing I can thing of is 'restore configuration'.

rc stands for run command(s)...
--
Max Heffler                     uucp: ..!uunet!lgc!max
Landmark Graphics Corp.         phone: (713) 579-4751

fabrice@sj.ate.slb.com (Fabrice Le Metayer) (09/19/89)

In article <1989Sep14.213204.6618@nueces.cactus.org> chari@nueces.UUCP (Christopher M. Whatley) writes:

>Well, what is the origin and meaning of 'rc' like newsrc, kermrc etc...
>The only thing I can thing of is 'restore configuration'.

Think "Run, Command, Run!..."

:-)

---
Fabrice  Le Metayer              DOMAIN : fabrice@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies - ATE           lemetayer@sjs.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive            UUCP   : {amdahl,decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!fabrice
San Jose, CA  95110              SINET  : M_SJS::LEMETAYER
(408) 437-5114                            M_SJSCA4::FABRICE

---
Fabrice  Le Metayer              DOMAIN : fabrice@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies - ATE           lemetayer@sjs.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive            UUCP   : {amdahl,decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!fabrice
San Jose, CA  95110              SINET  : M_SJS::LEMETAYER

>The answer is that it stands for "runcom".  It's probably explained in
>"Life With UNIX".

Some of you may already know this, but...

It's also explained in the "Frequently Asked Questions" posting in
"news.announce.newusers", which new users are advised to read - having
the answer already on your machine is much nicer than having to wait for
a response to be posted....

There's also a Frequently Asked Questions posting to this group as well,
and the same comments apply to it.