[comp.unix.questions] Motorolla Unix Device Drivers

dan@melpar.UUCP (Dan Pawlowski) (09/20/89)

1. I am writing a Unix driver for a DMA device under system 5 release 3.
   (Motorolla 68030-MVME147).
   Is there any way to get to the strategy routine without calling it
explicitly from the write routine. Somehow I am getting to my strategy routine
from my application, by calling write, but not actually entering the write
entry point. Does anyone have an idea on what is happening?

2. This question is a general one on whether anyone has any installation
procedures (documents describing procedures etc..) for installing a DMA
device driver for Unix system 5 release 3 for a motorolla MVME147.
Please mail replies to
uunet!melpar!dan

    Thank you   -Dan Pawlowski.

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/20/89)

In article <232@melpar.UUCP>, dan@melpar.UUCP (Dan Pawlowski) writes:
> 1. I am writing a Unix driver for a DMA device under system 5 release 3.
>    (Motorolla 68030-MVME147).
>    Is there any way to get to the strategy routine without calling it
> explicitly from the write routine. Somehow I am getting to my strategy routine
> from my application, by calling write, but not actually entering the write
> entry point. Does anyone have an idea on what is happening?

The strategy routine is normally used by the block i/o routines when a
"dirty" block needs to be flushed.  This would be asynchronous to writes.

For block devices, the read/write system call operations will be performed
by the system block i/o routines, not the device driver read/write routines.
For character devices the device driver read/write routines will be used.