[comp.unix.questions] anon ftp to Simtel

baileyc@tramp.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) (09/14/89)

Help!  Another message about anonymous ftping.  I want to know how
I can see if Simtel20 has a certain archive I want (multi-edit 4.01).
I am on a University UNIX system that has ftp.  How do I do the
so called anonymous ftp???  And once I'm on, what is the MS-DOS
directory?  thanx...

Chris Bailey
------------
C--, a better name for Pascal.

mtarrani@crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani) (09/15/89)

In article <11651@boulder.Colorado.EDU> baileyc@tramp.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:
>Help!  Another message about anonymous ftping.  I want to know how
>I can see if Simtel20 has a certain archive I want (multi-edit 4.01).
>I am on a University UNIX system that has ftp.  How do I do the
>so called anonymous ftp???  And once I'm on, what is the MS-DOS
>directory?  thanx...
>
>Chris Bailey
>------------
>C--, a better name for Pascal.

Anonymous ftp refers to the account you login to ... use anonymous,
then guest (even though you will prompted that you can use your
real id.)

MS-DOS archives are in PD1:<MSDOS>

Standard Unix(tm) commands will work (such as cd to navigate around).
If, for example, you want to change directory to a subdirectory
named EDITORS (I believe there is one on SIMTEL under MSDOS), all
you have to do is "cd pd1:<msdos.editors>" (the system appears to
be case insensitive) and then you can issue an ls to see the directory
listing.

Since you are on a Unix(tm) machine, make sure you set "tenex" before
getting any binary files; ftp comes up as ASCII as default.  Trust me
on this one :-)

Hope this answers your questions.

--
Mike Tarrani          crash!mtarrani@nosc.mil
Network Analyst       Network Engineering Technologies

jb@CSUStan.EDU (John Birchfield) (09/15/89)

In article <371@crash.cts.com> mtarrani@crash.cts.com (Mike Tarrani) writes:
>In article <11651@boulder.Colorado.EDU> baileyc@tramp.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:
>>Help!  Another message about anonymous ftping.  I want to know how
>>I can see if Simtel20 has a certain archive I want (multi-edit 4.01).
>>I am on a University UNIX system that has ftp.  How do I do the
>Mike Tarrani          crash!mtarrani@nosc.mil

I have also found that it's best to include the following
commands before attempting to copy over any .arc (or other binary)
files.

	quote "type l 8"
	binary

The first line tells simtel to translate from it's internal data
representation to 8 bit bytes.

The second makes sure that your local ftp process is in binary mode.

This can save considerable time downloading files that don't unpack.

I just looked over a fairly recent listing of the msdos files on
simtel and all I saw was
	pd1:<msdos.editor>me300barc.1
| John Birchfield                   1575 Quail Ct., Turlock, CA  95380 |
| jb@csustan.csustan.edu            Tel:  (209) 634-6243               |

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (09/15/89)

If you have used binary mode instead of tenex mode to a TOPS20 machine,
don't despair. Here is bintnx.c to fix those files. It is short enough
to post here. I didn't write it. I found it somewhere on Simtel.

Convert a TOPS-20 file transferred in FTP "binary" mode to "tenex" mode.
In "binary" mode, we have 2 36-bit words in 9 8-bit bytes.  In "tenex"
mode, we want the top 32 bits of each 36-bit group, giving 8 8-bit bytes.

Who knows what FTP did if the file had an odd number of 36-bit words.

[08-Oct-87]

***********************************************************************/

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
    int c,d;

    for (;;)
    {
        c = getchar();
	if (c == EOF)
	    break;
        putchar(c);			/* 0..7 */
	c = getchar();	putchar(c);	/* 8..15 */
	c = getchar();	putchar(c);	/* 16..23 */
	c = getchar();	putchar(c);	/* 24..31 */

	d = getchar();

	c = (d << 4);
	d = getchar();
	c |= 0xFF & (d >> 4);
	putchar(c);			/* 4..11 */

	c = (d << 4);
	d = getchar();
	c |= 0xFF & (d >> 4);
	putchar(c);			/* 12..19 */

	c = (d << 4);
	d = getchar();
	c |= 0xFF & (d >> 4);
	putchar(c);			/* 20..27 */

	c = (d << 4);
	d = getchar();
	c |= 0xFF & (d >> 4);
	putchar(c);			/* 28..36 */

    }
}

) (09/17/89)

In article <11651@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, baileyc@tramp.Colorado.EDU (BAILEY CHRISTOPHER R) writes:

> I am on a University UNIX system that has ftp.  How do I do the
> so called anonymous ftp???

In order to FTP to SIMTEL, you must enter the following command to access
SIMTEL:
	$ FTP simtel20.army.mil

Enter ANONYMOUS and your id for the USERNAME and PASSWORD, respectively, when
prompted.

> And once I'm on, what is the MS-DOS
> directory?

To change to the MS-DOS directory, enter the following to change directories:
	CD PD:<MSDOS>

If you are looking for a particular directory, you can easily request for a
list of all the directories via MAIL.  Enter the following message to
LISTSERV@RPIECS:
	/PDDIR PD:<MSDOS>

The list will take a few minutes to be sent to you.  While in FTP, to change
to a sub-directory, such as, MODEMS, enter the following command:
	CD PD:<MSDOS.MODEMS>

To look at a directory, just enter DIR.  Enter HELP for help.

Hope this was enough to quench your thirst for information.
--

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^|
| Real name: Santanu Sircar                     | - If anything can go wrong, |

tcurrey@x102c.harris-atd.com (currey tom 76327) (09/20/89)

You can anonymous ftp to Simtel or other sites by

prompt     "ftp 26.2.0.74"   {Simtel's address}
login name "anonymous"
password   "guest"           {accutally there is no password}

On Simtel you must remember to set the transfer mode to "tenex" for
binary files.

The MSDOS files are located at :  pd1:<msdos.??????>xxxxx.xxx
where ?????? is the group and xxxxx.xxx is the filename.

Example :   "pd1:<msdos.editors>vi-19a.arc"