[comp.unix.questions] waitpid?

bill@lxn.eds.com (Bill Doviak) (09/18/89)

In article <434@ohs.UUCP> mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:

>Try using waitpid().  You'll need to include <sys/wait.h>, if you haven't
>          ^^^^^^^^^?

What's that? It's not documented in my SysV R2 or SysV R3 manuals.
--
Bill Doviak                         | US MAIL: Electronic Data Systems (EDS)
UUCP: vu-vlsi!lxn!bill              |          Lanark Building

rogerc@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Roger Collins) (09/19/89)

In article <439@lxn.eds.com> bill@lxn.UUCP (Bill Doviak) writes:
> In article <434@ohs.UUCP> mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
> >
> >Try using waitpid().  You'll need to include <sys/wait.h>, if you haven't
> >          ^^^^^^^^^?
>
> What's that? It's not documented in my SysV R2 or SysV R3 manuals.

That's Posix.  Available in AT&T UNIX V.4, and some recent BSD and V.3
versions that have attempted Posix conformance.

--
	Roger Collins
	NCR - E&M Columbia
	rogerc@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM

>That's Posix.  Available in AT&T UNIX V.4, and some recent BSD and V.3
>versions that have attempted Posix conformance.

As far as I know, AT&T UNIX V.4 isn't available to the general public
yet, so perhaps "available" should have been "will be available".

gerry@SSD.HARRIS.COM (Gerry Baumgartner) (09/21/89)

In article <439@lxn.eds.com> bill@lxn.UUCP (Bill Doviak) writes:
>In article <434@ohs.UUCP> mday@ohs.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
>>
>>Try using waitpid().  You'll need to include <sys/wait.h>, if you haven't
>>          ^^^^^^^^^?
>
>What's that? It's not documented in my SysV R2 or SysV R3 manuals.

waitpid() is a routine specified by POSIX 1003.1.  It adds to wait() some of
the functionality of wait3(), namely the use of wait3 options.  It also lets
you specify a set of child processes for which status is requested, i.e. a
process with a specific pid or process group ID.  It's my understanding that it
will make it's appearance in SysV R4 or any OS thats going to be POSIX 1003.1
compliant.

Gerry Baumgartner                |    gerry@ssd.harris.com
System Software Development      | or gerry%ssd.harris.com@eddie.mit.edu
Harris Computer Systems Division | or ...!{mit-eddie,uunet,novavax}!hcx1!gerry
Fort Lauderdale FL 33309         |