[comp.unix.questions] Telnet/FTP over TTY port

ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) (09/20/89)

I am interested in finding out if telnet/ftp can be used between two TTY
ports.  I need to connect two distant computers using 9600 baud (Microcom)
modems, and it would be nice if I had some choice other than kermit (I
believe the error checking in TCP/IP is more efficient in the presence of
noise, but I may be wrong in this).  One of the machines is an Alliant
running a BSD 4.2 equivalent (soon to be 4.3).  Can someone confirm as to
whether TCP/IP over TTY/modems on Unix systems is possible?  If so, where
should I look to find the details of how to do it?

regards,

ric steinberger

Cyberspace:  ric@ace.sri.com
             ric@rml2.sri.com

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/20/89)

In article <3623@unix.SRI.COM>, ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) writes:
> noise, but I may be wrong in this).  One of the machines is an Alliant
> running a BSD 4.2 equivalent (soon to be 4.3).  Can someone confirm as to
> whether TCP/IP over TTY/modems on Unix systems is possible?  If so, where
> should I look to find the details of how to do it?

It is possible.  The "package" you require is SLIP (Serial Line IP).  The
BSD 4.3 includes SLIP support and many 4.2 implementations included it also.
Since you want to run it across modems, you probably need "dial-up SLIP".

You can tell if you have slip support by the presence of the slconfig
program which is used for configuring a serial line for IP.

Disclaimer: I haven't used it in a while so this might not be totally correct.

What you want is called SL/IP to run ftp and telnet over serial lines.
You may find that V.32 give smoother response than PEP. You may also
find that zmodem gives faster file transfer rates and better error
handling than TCP. It will, for instance, restart from the middle of a
file if the connection is broken.

that the world is flat!" - anon