[comp.unix.questions] pg command on System 5

kathyw@stl-08sima.army.mil (Kathy Wilson) (09/19/89)

Hello,

We have a Unisys 5000/80 running System 5.3.  Does 'pg'
utility have an environment variable which can be set,
to automatically run options such as 'pg -cn'?  I
know the 'more' command has an environment variable
called MORE.  I was hoping 'pg' would have something
similar.  Any suggestions?

Kathy Wilson
Dept. of Army
SIMA, St. Louis

In article <20897@adm.BRL.MIL>, kathyw@stl-08sima.army.mil (Kathy Wilson) writes:

|  We have a Unisys 5000/80 running System 5.3.  Does 'pg'
|  utility...
|	[ questions about options to pg in env ]
|  similar.  Any suggestions?

  My best suggestion is to use 'less' as a pager, from the archives. The
recent versions are in comp.sources.unix or comp.sources.misc, and I
think a useable beta of the latest release just came over alt.sources. I
don't believe that pg checks for options, although some versions check
for page size.
that the world is flat!" - anon

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/20/89)

In article <20897@adm.BRL.MIL>, kathyw@stl-08sima.army.mil (Kathy Wilson) writes:
> We have a Unisys 5000/80 running System 5.3.  Does 'pg'
> utility have an environment variable which can be set,
> to automatically run options such as 'pg -cn'?  I

For "standard" system V R3.2 the only environment variable use directly by pg
is SHELL.  It does, via curses, however use the "LINES" variable for
the number of lines on a screen.

benji@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Jeff Benjamin) (09/21/89)

kathyw@stl-08sima.army.mil (Kathy Wilson) writes:

> We have a Unisys 5000/80 running System 5.3.  Does 'pg'
> utility have an environment variable which can be set,
> to automatically run options such as 'pg -cn'?

Yes, it's "PG."  I use:

PG="-ns =p --more(p%d)--"; export PG

in my .kshrc.

P.S. This *is* in the manpage.

-----
Jeff Benjamin                         {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpfcla!benji
Graphics Technology Division          benji%hpfcla@hplabs.HP.COM
Hewlett Packard Co.                   Fort Collins, Colorado

benji@hpfcdq.HP.COM (Jeff Benjamin) (09/22/89)

> > We have a Unisys 5000/80 running System 5.3.  Does 'pg'
> > utility have an environment variable which can be set,
> > to automatically run options such as 'pg -cn'?
>
> Yes, it's "PG."  I use:
>
> PG="-ns =p --more(p%d)--"; export PG

Oops.  This is an HP-UX-ism, not a SysV-ism.  I was too hasty; I figured
since HP-UX conforms to the SVID...  Sorry to mislead anybody.

Instead, why not just set up an alias for pg that includes the option:

alias pg="pg -ns -p --more(p%d)--"

> P.S. This *is* in the manpage.

Well, it was in my manpage :-}

-----