[net.cooks] sweetened condensed milk rec. request

sue@burdvax.UUCP (Sue Mardinly) (12/23/85)

Over the weekend I made a recipe that called for 1/2 can sweetened condensed
milk.  The result wasn't terrific, so I don't want to make the recipe again
(and I also wouldn't want to subject the net world to it.)  So now I have
1/2 of a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk in my fridge.  Does anybody
have any good recipes that I could use it up in?   I spent about an hour
going through cookbooks at home, and couldn't come up with any!

Thanks
Sue Mardinly
SDC - a Burroughs Co.
Paoli, Pa.
burdvax!sue

stup@whuxl.UUCP (SMITH) (12/27/85)

>                                                             So now I have
> 1/2 of a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk in my fridge.  Does anybody
> have any good recipes that I could use it up in?

     Try making Mock Chocolate Truffles.

           Melt 4 to 6 squares baking chocolate with a tablespoon of
butter and add it to the condensed milk. Keep stirring til it
thickens. If after it cools a bit, it's still runny, add enough
confectioner's sugar to make a soft paste. Form balls and roll them
in chocolate sprinkles, chopped nuts, flaked coconut or more
confectioner's sugar. That's it. Quick and easy. You can add any
desired flavoring to the mixture - vanilla, rum, almond, mint etc.
           You can also use up the condensed milk by pouring it
into a custard cup, placing the cup in a pan of hot water and
placing the pan in the oven for about an hour at 375 deg (or
until it has turned a light brown and solidified). Personally,
I think this tastes yucky, but my brother loves it.Bleahhhhhhh.
But then I hate sweet tnings. I don't even like chocolate or
ice cream. Boy am I weird.

figmo@lll-crg.ARpA (Lynn Gold) (01/01/86)

In article <2277@burdvax.UUCP>, sue@burdvax.UUCP (Sue Mardinly) writes:

> Over the weekend I made a recipe that called for 1/2 can sweetened condensed
> milk.  The result wasn't terrific, so I don't want to make the recipe again
> (and I also wouldn't want to subject the net world to it.)  So now I have
> 1/2 of a 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk in my fridge.  Does anybody
> have any good recipes that I could use it up in?   I spent about an hour
> going through cookbooks at home, and couldn't come up with any!

Vietnamese coffee works quite well for this purpose.  You put about 1/2"
to 3/4" of sweetened condensed milk into the bottom of a coffee cup or
mug and add coffee to fill.  The Vietnamese restaurant we frequent uses
a filtered drip coffeemaker and a strong grind of coffee.

I know this recipe sounds a bit odd, but it IS good!

--Lynn Gold
...lll-crg!figmo

cca@pur-phy.UUCP (Charles C. Allen) (01/02/86)

The following recipe calls for a full can of sweetened condensed milk
for a 9x13 pan.  Using half a can in a 9x9 should work fine, as the
cookies are VERY sweet anyway.

Seven Layer Cookies

Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.  Then put the following ingredients in,
in order:

    *	graham cracker crumbs (since I never have these, I use bread
	crumbs)

    *	butter or margarine (enough to get all the crumbs moist)

    *	chocolate chips (I actually use grated unsweetened chocolate)

    *	butterscotch or peanut butter chips

    *	coconut

    *	a can of sweetened condensed milk

    *	nuts

Bake at 325 until done.

Sorry I don't have the exact quantities, but I haven't used the actual
recipe in years.  I have no idea where the recipe originally came from.

Charlie Allen		cca@newton.PURDUE.EDU