[comp.unix.questions] Encrypted Mail

marwood@ncs.dnd.ca (Gordon Marwood) (09/14/89)

Does anyone know whether there is a version of mail which does automatic
encryption/decryption.  I have seen reference to this, but cannot seem to get
any detailed information.  I am aware that one can encrypt files and send them,
but I am looking for something a bit more automatic than that.

Gordon Marwood
marwood@ncs.dnd.ca

khera@juliet.cs.duke.edu (Vick Khera) (09/14/89)

In article <20858@adm.BRL.MIL> marwood@ncs.dnd.ca (Gordon Marwood) writes:
>Does anyone know whether there is a version of mail which does automatic
>encryption/decryption.  I have seen reference to this, but cannot seem to get
>any detailed information.  I am aware that one can encrypt files and send them,
>but I am looking for something a bit more automatic than that.
>
>Gordon Marwood

At least on Sun systems we have here, there is a facility to do this. I
believe this only works on local mail. here is most of the man page.

							v.

NAME
     xsend, xget, enroll - send or receive secret mail
DESCRIPTION
     These commands implement  a  secure  communication  channel,
     which  is  like  mail(1),  but  no one can read the messages
     except  the  intended  recipient.   The  method  embodies  a
     public-key cryptosystem using knapsacks.

     To receive messages, use enroll; it asks you for a  password
     that  you must subsequently quote in order to receive secret
     mail.

     To receive secret mail, use xget.  It asks  for  your  pass-
     word, then gives you the messages.

     To send secret mail, use xsend in the  same  manner  as  the
     ordinary  mail command.  Unlike mail, xsend accepts only one
     target.  A message announcing the receipt of secret mail  is
     also sent by ordinary mail.
FILES
     /var/spool/secretmail/*.key     keys
     /var/spool/secretmail/*.[0-9]   messages
BUGS
     The knapsack public-key cryptosystem is known to  be  break-
     able.

     Secret mail should be integrated with ordinary mail.

     The announcement of secret mail makes traffic analysis  pos-
     sible.

Sun Release 4.0   Last change: 9 September 1987                 1

ARPA:	khera@cs.duke.edu		Department of Computer Science
CSNET:	khera@duke			Duke University
UUCP:	{mcnc,decvax}!duke!khera	Durham, NC 27706

>At least on Sun systems we have here, there is a facility to do this. I
>believe this only works on local mail. here is most of the man page.
>
>NAME
>     xsend, xget, enroll - send or receive secret mail

This dates back to V7, although it wasn't picked up by the S3/S5 side of
the house.  Since it was in V7, it's in 4.xBSD; it may also be in
commercial systems other than Suns....

It does, in fact, work only on local mail, since it delivers mail by
writing to a file, not by handing it to some program such as "sendmail"
cognizant of SMTP or other network mail delivery protocols; you may be
able to make it work over NFS or some other network file system, though,
with a shared "/usr/spool/secretmail" directory (although since the
notification is sent by ordinary mail, the recipient needs an account on
the local machine anyway, or at least an alias to get the mail to them).

tanner@cdis-1.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) (09/18/89)

) xsend, xget, enroll -- all from V7
Yup, lots of limitations there, including the fact that it works best
if the sender and receiver are on the same machine.

Suggest use of elm's encryption feature instead.  Form a message
which includes lines [encode] and [clear] surrounding sensitive
portions.  You get prompted for a password when sending the message,
and the receiver gets prompted for a password at time of reading.
--
...!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner  ...!bpa!cdin-1!cdis-1!tanner
or...  {allegra attctc gatech!uflorida}!ki4pv!cdis-1!tanner

>Suggest use of elm's encryption feature instead.  Form a message
>which includes lines [encode] and [clear] surrounding sensitive
>portions.  You get prompted for a password when sending the message,
>and the receiver gets prompted for a password at time of reading.

Assuming, of course, that both the sender and receiver are running
"elm", or some mailer offering equivalent and compatible
capabilities....  (Note: it is occasionally not possible to demand that
the person to whom you're sending mail change their mail user agent.)

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (09/23/89)

In article <20858@adm.BRL.MIL> marwood@ncs.dnd.ca (Gordon Marwood) writes:
>Does anyone know whether there is a version of mail which does automatic
>encryption/decryption.

Why don't you get 'elm' source from the usenet archives? Among its
thousand and one features is the ability to encrypt a message, or even
just a part of a message.

--
Jean-Pierre Radley					      jpr@jpradley.uucp
New York, NY					      72160.1341@compuserve.com