[comp.unix.questions] RE^2 : What is 4.3+tahoe

wrwalke@nswc-wo.arpa (Walker) (09/22/89)

OK, call me flamebait, but here we go ...

"Conor P. Cahill" <cpcahil@virtech.uucp> writes >>

>>4.3+tahoe is the lastest BSD release which is now being developed on a
>>CCI (now ICL North America) Power 6/32.  CCI nicknamed the machines tahoe
>>during development.

4.3 tahoe WAS developed by CCI on the 6/32.  CCI supports *NO* bsd
releases and if you call with bsd specific problems they reccomend
that you "upgrade to sysV".  i work with 5 cci power6's running 4.2
bsd and 5 power 5/32's running bsd 2.01.03 (??? actually 4.1 ish).
i had to bail the company with the 5/32's out everytime there is a
system problem because CCI (ICL) would say "let me have one of our
analysts give you a call" or come across with VERY wrong info.  i have
since taken the software service contract for this customer from CCI
for my own company (they would rather pay my company for answers than
pay cci for runarounds *AND* pay me a consultant's fee to patch things
up).

CCI (ICL) does NOT market bsd releases, they will supply it if the customer
insists, but it will be relatively unsupported.  i hear 4.3 and tahoe *IS*
supported on the Harris boxes made by CCI, and i hear that their support
is far and above that of CCI.

>>Rumour has it that DEC was complaining that BSD development on VAXs was
>>somehow interfering with Ultrix.

OF COURSE IT IS!!!  that is called open marketing and non-proprietary
operating systems.  if ultrix became available on a Sun i am sure that
sun would whine too!

>>The 4.3 tahoe release, as far as I know, will still work with VAXs.  I
>>recently worked on a 4.3 development project using VAX 11/50s, but I am
>>not positive that it was the 4.3 tahoe release.

(again flame if i am wrong, but ...) i believe the tahoe upgrade of
4.3 is available from berkeley.  if it isn't they could definitely tell
you where to get it (am i right chris??).

>>As far as NFS is concerned, it is not part of the standard BSD release. It
>>is normally an add on package added by an os vendor.

it is also available from several 3rd party vendors, but i am sure others
will also reply to sing their praises.

sorry for the bandwidth on this one!
bill

 |--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 |      wrwalke@nswc-wo.arpa                |     William R Walker         |
 |      wrwalke@relay-nswc.navy.mil         |     ICT, inc.                |
 |      wrwalke@ictgate.uucp                |------------------------------|
 |------------------------------------------'    Unix is a trademark of    |
 |          I don't need disclaimers,     |      AT&T, but then so is      |
 |        my company doesn't know I       |      "Princess Phone".         |
 |        even have opinions.             |               -fortune         |
|    ... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,  |
|  my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any     |
|  resemblance between the above and my own views is non-deterministic.     |

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/23/89)

In article <20936@adm.BRL.MIL>, wrwalke@nswc-wo.arpa (Walker) writes:

> >>4.3+tahoe is the lastest BSD release which is now being developed on a
> >>CCI (now ICL North America) Power 6/32.  CCI nicknamed the machines tahoe
> >>during development.
>
> 4.3 tahoe WAS developed by CCI on the 6/32.

No.  It wasn't.  4.3 tahoe is a product of BSD made on the tahoe machine.  It
is not a product of CCI.

> (again flame if i am wrong, but ...) i believe the tahoe upgrade of
> 4.3 is available from berkeley.  if it isn't they could definitely tell
> you where to get it (am i right chris??).

Of course it's available from Berkeley, they developed/ported it.