[comp.unix.questions] What is 4.3+tahoe?

krf@mars.ral.rpi.edu (Keith R. Fieldhouse) (09/21/89)

I have been away from Unix and the net for about 3 years and it appears
that things have changed a bit in my absence...

I have inherited an ancient and crusty old VAX 11/750 which is still doing
yoeman service for us though we have relegated it to handling just those
tasks that we don't want cluttering up our nice new shiny network of
SUNS.

The VAX is currently running 4.3BSD from tapes cut back in 1986.  I am
interested in a version of Unix that will run on the VAX and might be a little
more uptodate if such a thing is possible?  NFS would be a very big
plus.

I know about DEC's Ultrix (that 3 years I mentioned was spent working
for DEC) and am looking into that.

My question relates to another version of Unix that I've seen
mentioned: "4.3+tahoe".  Just what is 4.3+tahoe?  Is it the current
version of 4.3?  Does it run NFS?  How might I obtain it or more
information about it?  Or have I made some silly assumptions?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
--
Keith R. Fieldhouse				krf@ral.rpi.edu
Center for Intelligent Robotic			(518) 276-6758

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/22/89)

In article <1989Sep21.130058.15909@rpi.edu>, krf@mars.ral.rpi.edu (Keith R. Fieldhouse) writes:
> My question relates to another version of Unix that I've seen
> mentioned: "4.3+tahoe".  Just what is 4.3+tahoe?  Is it the current
> version of 4.3?  Does it run NFS?  How might I obtain it or more
> information about it?  Or have I made some silly assumptions?

4.3+tahoe is the lastest BSD release which is now being developed on a
CCI (now ICL North America) Power 6/32.  CCI nicknamed the machines tahoe
during development.

Rumour has it that DEC was complaining that BSD development on VAXs was
somehow interfering with Ultrix.

The 4.3 tahoe release, as far as I know, will still work with VAXs.  I
recently worked on a 4.3 development project using VAX 11/50s, but I am
not positive that it was the 4.3 tahoe release.

As far as NFS is concerned, it is not part of the standard BSD release. It
is normally an add on package added by an os vendor.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/24/89)

In article <1190@virtech.UUCP> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>Rumour has it that DEC was complaining that BSD development on VAXs was
>somehow interfering with Ultrix.

DEC may have complained (I don't know), but why would that have any effect
on what the Berkeley developers did?  The BSD developers have stated that
a major reason for switching their development base was that CCI was much
more cooperative that DEC.  For example, it was almost impossible to get
sufficient technical information out of DEC for their UDA/HSC protocols,
making device driver development very tedious.