[comp.unix.questions] Is nroff part of UNIX package?

funk@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (09/16/89)

On our SYS V Rel 2  UNIX, we had nroff/troff
Now, on Release 3, we do not have it.  OUr vendor says that it really
wasn't part of UNIX, that it was part of Documentor's Workbench, and that we'd
gotten a freebie before that they don't have to give now.
Is this for Real???
Please mail

|        Bruce Funk                         INTERNET: funk@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu |
|ACSEH, 21st TAACOM          __________________________________________________|
|Kaiserslautern, W. Germany  | Any resemblance between me and reality          |
|(guesting on osiris)        | is strictly coincidental                        |

jeenglis@nunki.usc.edu (Joe English) (09/17/89)

funk@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>On our SYS V Rel 2  UNIX, we had nroff/troff
>Now, on Release 3, we do not have it.  OUr vendor says that it really
>wasn't part of UNIX, that it was part of Documentor's Workbench, and that we'd
>gotten a freebie before that they don't have to give now.
>Is this for Real???

I guess so.  A good deal for AT&T; the Documenters
Workbench costs bucks.  Plus, no nroff --> no online
man pages (also not included in SYSV) --> more people
who can't easily RTFM and thus have to post to the
net --> longer phone calls for uucp traffic --> AT&T
wins again...

Hmmm...  Come to think of it, you pay for the call
to get the Documenter's Workbench, too, if you order
it through their electronic software distribution
system.

--Joe English

  jeenglis@nunki.usc.edu.  PS:  :-)

usenet@tons61.UUCP (Usenet News) (09/22/89)

jeenglis@nunki.usc.edu (Joe English) writes:
-I guess so.  A good deal for AT&T; the Documenters Workbench costs bucks.
-Plus, no nroff --- no online man pages (also not included in SYSV) -- more
-people who can't easily RTFM and thus have to post to the net --- longer
-phone calls for uucp traffic --> AT&T wins again...

We have experienced the problem with our CCI Version of Unix.  NO NROFF
**AARRRGGHHH!**  All the systems I have worked on (except for SCO) had
nroff available. I guess AT&T and the powers that be feel that it's the
next closest thing we'll get to a word processor.

What I don't understand is when a company sells an office automation system
that includes a word processor, and they also sell the UNIX for the machine,
why can't they include nroff / "Documenters Workbench" as part of that
package / "migration" ? (office automation package) Oh well, no BIG deal
I guess... :-)  I think any Unix OS should have at least a basic version of
NROFF, even if it is hard coded with -man options.  At least we can produce
man pages...

Bless CCI/ICL's soul, they seem to include the man pages when you purchase
the 'C' Compiler but since I'm not the one who got the purchase order, I
could be wrong.

Meanwhile back at the ranch...I have to e-mail/uucp any nroff documents to
some sites I have access to in order to format them and then send it back to
print'em!

Oh well...

"If money is the root of all Evil, then does that explain why there are
demons in Unix?" 8-) 8-)

BTW: anyone have sources to the MS/PC-DOS version of ROFF or NROFF ?  I
have the binaries but don't have a time for a good debug session. 8-]
Could port it to Unix....worse things have happened...8-]

--
Harry Skelton - harrys@tons61, guardian@ugh

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/24/89)

In article <112@tons61.UUCP> harrys@tons61.UUCP (Harry Skelton) writes:
[...]

Why are you guys wasting net bandwidth with all this unfounded guesswork?

Documenter's WorkBench was unbundled from the rest of the UNIX OS package
as of UNIX System V Release 2.  Existing source licensees were granted
DWB 1.0 licenses when they upgraded to SVR2.0 (offer now expired).  DWB
is available under separate license (DWB 2.0 is the latest release, and
probably the last from AT&T).

Some vendors provide DWB standardly with their version of UNIX; others
provide it as an extra-cost option; and others don't offer it at all,
in which case you could license it yourself.  Porting DWB 2.0 isn't hard
if you start with my version instead of AT&T's.