[comp.unix.questions] -hupcl

rob@phavl.UUCP (Robert Ransbottom) (09/23/89)

Is there a case to be made for the use of -hupcl on local lines?

--

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (09/25/89)

In article <176@phavl.UUCP>, rob@phavl.UUCP (Robert Ransbottom) writes:
> Is there a case to be made for the use of -hupcl on local lines?

	If you are using come smart serial i/o cards there may be an instance
where you would want to have -hupcl.  Some multiport cards handle virtual
terminal support onboard, and some require the terminal have more then 1 page
of display ram, and the ability to "remember" the cursor position on each
page.  On some of these type of "me too" cards; "me too" because almost
every manufacturer making multiport cards has these types of plain
vanilla smart cards;  it is necessary to set -hupcl as well as clocal
in a virtual terminal environment.

If you are running two or more virtual terminals at one physical terminal, and
-hupcl, and clocal are not unset, set respectively, when a session on
one virtual terminal is terminated and dtr is dropped, both/all virtual
sessions will be closed.

	We are using many of these types of "me too" cards.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP