[comp.unix.questions] netnews

root@pcgbase.UUCP (Super user) (09/14/89)

Could somebody help me with my news software?  I'm new at this and
I'm haveing some trouble with my system.  If you wouldn't mind
spending some time on the phone, send me your number and I'll put it
on my nickle.

i80286/10
SCO Xenix 2.2.3
TrailBlazer + modem

I keep getting the message

Warning! Somebody reset comp.unix.questions-- assuming nothing read
                           .
                           .
                           .
I would be glad to read a manual or some documentation if somebody
would just point me in the right direction or tell me which files
to download and read.

I would also like to know more about how to control which groups
of news I receive and how to set them up so I can post.

Again, I would love to read the documentation if someone will just
tell me where to find it.

Thanks

jc@minya.UUCP (John Chambers) (09/26/89)

In article <4@pcgbase.UUCP>, root@pcgbase.UUCP (Super user) writes:
> Could somebody help me with my news software?  I'm new at this and
> I'm haveing some trouble with my system.
>                            .
> I would be glad to read a manual or some documentation if somebody
> would just point me in the right direction or tell me which files
> to download and read.
>
> I would also like to know more about how to control which groups
> of news I receive and how to set them up so I can post.
>
> Again, I would love to read the documentation if someone will just
> tell me where to find it.

Just recently I got ahold of a copy of "Managing uucp and Usenet" (the
capitalization is theirs), by Tim O'Reilly and Grace Todino; it's one
of the Nutshell Handbooks, from
	O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
	981 Chestnut Street
	Newton MA 02164
It's quite well written, and I wish I had had a copy years back when I
started trying to make uucp work.  By now, I already know two thirds of
what's there, but the other third is worth the price.

My only complaint is that, in my experience, the biggest problem with
making a link work is getting the @#*$^& modems to talk to each other
and to the serial ports, all at the correct speed; they sort of mention
this but don't say much about it.  But I sympathize; what *can* you say
about something that messy?

And, of course, one of the nice things about the Usenet package is that
you get the source, which you can read.  (Any experienced programmer knows
that the source is the only *correct* documentation. :-/2)

--
#echo 'Opinions Copyright 1989 by John Chambers; for licensing information contact:'
echo '	John Chambers <{adelie,ima,mit-eddie}!minya!{jc,root}> (617/484-6393)'