[comp.unix.questions] What is ps_data's permissions? && What is cklock1 and cklock?

brian@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) (09/28/89)

 Every now and then a get a puzzling message or two on my console. One
is:

  ln: cklock and cklock1 are identical

 I surmise that two files that are the same are trying yo be linked
together, but what is doing this, and why? A quick 'find' over the
entire file system shows no such files.

The other message shows up when you try to do a ps, it's something like:

unable to unlink ps_data: contact system administrator

Well, I AM the system administrator! This seems to be a minor
permissions problem with ps_data; however, it keeps returning every now
and then.

  These aren't serious problems, but they bother me, so if anyone can
explain them, I'd appreciate it. I'm using cubix V.3.1 (kind of
micro-porty, although I've seen the first one with Interactive V.3.0
too).

  Thanks!

    Brian Bishop

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (09/28/89)

In article <13987@grebyn.com>, brian@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) writes:
>  Every now and then a get a puzzling message or two on my console. One
> is:
>   ln: cklock and cklock1 are identical

I don't know where this comes from, but if you are getting it every once
in a while on the console, chances are that it is from some job running
out of cron.  Next time you notices that it happens, record the time that
it happend and review your crontabs (/usr/spool/cron/crontabs) to find the
job that was scheduled to run at, or slightly before, that time.

> The other message shows up when you try to do a ps, it's something like:
>
> unable to unlink ps_data: contact system administrator

The ps_data file is a recording of the data used to generate the ps listing.
This includes data from /etc/passwd, /dev, and /unix.  The problem you are
having is due to permission problems on the /etc directory, or the ps program
itself.

/etc should be set up as follows:

	drwxrwxr-x  20 root     sys         3472 Sep 20 18:24 /etc

/bin/ps should be set up as follows:

	-r-xr-sr-x   1 root     sys        21472 May 22 15:28 /bin/ps

Note that ps program is setGID to sys and the /etc directory is in
group sys and writable by that group.