[comp.unix.questions] AIX pedigree

brinkema@fjcnet.GOV (John R. Brinkema) (09/27/89)

Could someone please tell me the pedigree of AIX (from 4.x, System III, etc)
and list some of the major features that are 1) unique to AIX and 2) different
from its parent(s) [ie. interesting to someone who is porting to/from AIX.
i				tia.  jb.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (09/27/89)

In article <202@fjcp60.GOV> brinkema@fjcnet.GOV (John R. Brinkema) writes:

>Could someone please tell me the pedigree of AIX (from 4.x, System III, etc)
>and list some of the major features that are 1) unique to AIX and 2) different
>from its parent(s) [ie. interesting to someone who is porting to/from AIX.

I was about to say "you can't" because "AIX" doesn't mean ANYTHING but
an interface specification.  Right now, AIX PS/2 and AIX/RT are completely
different internally.  The system call interface is mostly V.2 with sockets.
But if you work with the PS/2 kernel code (which I have) it's clear that it's
a Locus kernel, meaning that it shares a pedigree with 4.[123]BSD, V7, Sys III,
along with V.2, but has gobs of original Locus code to support TCF file sharing
and replication.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

In article <31@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM>, dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:

|  I was about to say "you can't" because "AIX" doesn't mean ANYTHING but
|  an interface specification.  Right now, AIX PS/2 and AIX/RT are completely
|  different internally.  The system call interface is mostly V.2 with sockets.
|  But if you work with the PS/2 kernel code (which I have) it's clear that it's
|  a Locus kernel, meaning that it shares a pedigree with 4.[123]BSD, V7, Sys III,
|  along with V.2, but has gobs of original Locus code to support TCF file sharing
|  and replication.

  I'm told that the AIX/370 kernel was done from yet another source (I
haven't seen the source, although three headhunters have offered me a
chance ;-) This implies that AIX version are compatible at the acronym level.
that the world is flat!" - anon

DMOYNIHA%WAYNEST1.BITNET@cornellc.cit.corn (Dennis P. Moynihan) (09/29/89)

>From: "John R. Brinkema" <brinkema@fjcnet.gov>
>Subject: AIX pedigree (and unique features)
>Date: 26 Sep 89 17:58:29 GMT
>To:       info-unix@sem.brl.mil

>Could someone please tell me the pedigree of AIX (from 4.x, System III, etc)
>and list some of the major features that are 1) unique to AIX and 2) different
>from its parent(s) {ie. interesting to someone who is porting to/from AIX.
>                  tia.  jb.

-----------------------------
There is a glossy publication entitled, simply, "AIX".  It doesn't have the
usual IBM manual number but the back cover says additional copies are
available by calling 1-800-722-4880 (or by fax to (407) 265-0344).
While this pub. is of course heavy on the marketing hype, it does go into
a pretty good overview of AIX features, the positioning of the entire
product line, and the history (which was kinda neat because it freely
mentioned a lot of IBM competitors).

Dennis Moynihan    (DMOYNIHA@WAYNEST1.BITNET)
Computing and Information Technology
Wayne State University
Detroit, MI

jackv@turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) (09/29/89)

In article <551@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  I'm told that the AIX/370 kernel was done from yet another source (I
>haven't seen the source, although three headhunters have offered me a
>chance ;-) This implies that AIX version are compatible at the acronym level.
>--

Not true Bill, the 370 kernel was jointly developed by Locus and IBM, IBM
was largely responsible for the machine dependent and device driver portions
of things although we end up making modifications to that code as well from
time to time. Some portions of code can be traced back to "shudder", IXX, but
are only fragments I believe. The majority of code between the PS/2 and
370 kernel is machine independent. Therefore compatability extends to the
system call level (this is just between 370 and PS/2 for release 2).

Sorry to hear you didn't take one of those headhunters up on the offer Bill,
at least long enough for a visit out for an interview. I could give you the
guided tour :-}.

Disclaimer: my opinions only, naturally.

--
Jack F. Vogel			jackv@seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -