[comp.unix.questions] Are there PD programs that...

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/30/89)

	(1) start up a daemon that tells me when someone else
	logs onto the system?

	(2) that tells a su when an application opens any file
	(for read/write/ or execute) ? Would this have to go
	into the kernel?

Both of these programs used to be available on our good old
hacked DEC-20. I would love to have them on my good new
(and absolutely wonderful) NeXT machine running Mach...
Would anybody know?

Ivo Welch	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu, phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/30/89)

>	(1) start up a daemon that tells me when someone else
>	logs onto the system?

	#!/usr/5bin/sh
	#	watchwho -- watch who logs in and out
	#	adapted from Kernighan & Pike

	PATH=/usr/5bin:/bin:/usr/bin

	new=/usr/tmp/wwho1.$$
	old=/usr/tmp/wwho2.$$
	trap 'rm -f $new $old; exit 1' 1 2 3 15

	>$old
	while :
	do	who >$new
		diff $old $new
		mv $new $old
		sleep 60
	done | awk '/>/ { $1 = "in:	"; print }
		    /</ { $1 = "out:	"; print }'

>	(2) that tells a su when an application opens any file
>	(for read/write/ or execute) ? Would this have to go
>	into the kernel?

This would require kernel support.  Why would you need this?

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/02/89)

>>	(2) that tells a su when an application opens any file
>>	(for read/write/ or execute) ? Would this have to go
>>	into the kernel?
>
>This would require kernel support.  Why would you need this?

I found this to be an extremely useful feature when trying to figure
out what foreign programs do. For example, not being a mail wizard,
I would like to see where my implementation of mail is looking for
guidance (i.e. files to read information from) when sending mail.
I realize that there are other sources for mail information, but
mail was of course only an example.

Thanks for the script to monitor login/logouts.

ivo welch	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (10/03/89)

In article <5588@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>	(1) start up a daemon that tells me when someone else
>	logs onto the system?
>Would anybody know?
>Ivo Welch	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu, phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

	We have a user program on chinet called "watch"  It was
	originaly written by someone at m-net in Ann Arbor for
	a XENIX system.  I modified it for SysV.  It runs in the
	background and gives:
	in: user
	out: user
	It takes options to only look at a list of people, turn on/off
	the bell when a in: or out: happens, and will monitor the
	activity on a file, in our case /usr/bbs/.party, which is
	a multiuser party program.  Source is available.

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us