[comp.unix.questions] Biological Use of Workstations

jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) (09/26/89)

It seems our biology department is in the process of coming out of
a hole and looking for their shadow.  In particular, they have seen
some chemical modeling programs running on an Apollo workstation and
are interested to know if there are biological programs that would
run on workstations.

Does anyone know of some good workstation programs--especially in the
areas of population modeling, genetic simulation (morphological to
micro-genetics), forest canopy maping, and ways to do image processing
with microscopic data?  In fact, anything that utilizes the incredible
graphics capability of modern workstations to aid in instruction or
research in biology would be worth knowing.  As it stands, we don't
seem to be aware of any workstation software at all.
--
	John Campbell               ...!arizona!naucse!jdc
                                    CAMPBELL@NAUVAX.bitnet

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/29/89)

In article <1717@naucse.UUCP> jdc@naucse.UUCP (John Campbell) writes:
> Does anyone know [...] anything that utilizes the incredible graphics
> capability of modern workstations to aid in instruction or research
> in biology

	Just a few examples off the top of my head that are going on around
here.  Analysis of Scanning Transmission Electron Microscope images on a
Sun-3/160C; very graphics oriented.  Molecular modelling of filamentous
viruses on 3/160s; mostly mathematical modelling, not much in the way of
graphics, could be done on any floating point CPU.  Drawing molecular
models on Mac-II.  The possibilities are endless.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

o.ca>@adm.BRL.MIL (10/03/89)

There is a UNIX Products Directory available from /usr/group. This provides
a list of most UNIX software currently available. Hopefully, you could
find what your looking for in this catalog.

Phil Smith
Systems Programmer
University of Windsor