[comp.unix.questions] termcap needed for tektronix 4025

unhd (R. G. Desroches II) (09/28/89)

I am using Ultrix-32 V3.2 with a tektronix 4025.  I need a termcap that
will enable me to use curses and other screen oriented applications.  I
can't even use vi at the moment and it is really starting to tear at me.
Unfortunately, we don't have access to ftp here.  Could someone please
either send me a termcap or tell me where I could find one
				thanks in advance

Never let an inanamite object throw you!    siesmo!uunet!unh!rgd611

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (09/30/89)

In article <1989Sep28.165050.5839@uunet!unhd> rgd611@uunet!unhd (R. G. Desroches II) writes:
>I am using Ultrix-32 V3.2 with a tektronix 4025.  I need a termcap ...

The Tek4025 is without doubt one of the most poorly designed terminals
ever made.  I would advise getting a better terminal.  However, if you
really want to try to use the 4025 with termcap-using programs, here's
the best we could come up with:

# Tektronix 4025A
# The following status modes are assumed for normal operation (replace the
# initial "!" by whatever the current command character is):
#	!COM 29			# NOTE: changes command character to GS (^])
#	^]DUP
#	^]ECH R
#	^]EOL
#	^]RSS T
#	^]SNO N
#	^]STO 9 17 25 33 41 49 57 65 73
# Other modes may be set according to communication requirements.
# If the command character is inadvertently changed, termcap can't restore it.
# Insert-character cannot be made to work on both top and bottom rows.
# Clear-to-end-of-display emulation via !DLI 988 is too groady to use, alas.
# There also seems to be a problem with vertical motion, perhaps involving
# delete/insert-line, following a typed carriage return.  This terminal sucks.
# No delays are specified; use "stty ixon -ixany" to enable DC3/DC1 flow control!
X5|tek4025a|Tektronix 4025A:\
	:al=^K^]ili;:am:bl=^G:bt=^]bac;:bw:CC=^]:cl=^]era;^J^]rup;:co#80:\
	:cr=^M:ct=^]sto;:da:db:DC=^]dch %d;:dc=^]dch;:DL=^]dli %d;:dl=^]dli;:\
	:DO=^]dow %d;:do=^J:it#8:LE=^]lef %d;:le=^H:li#34:nd=^]rig;:\
	:RI=^]rig %d;:\
	:rs=!com 29^]del 0^]rss t^]buf^]buf n^]cle^]dis^]dup^]ech r^]eol\
^]era g^]for n^]pad 203^]pad 209^]sno n^]sto 9 17 25 33 41 49 57 65 73\
^]wor 0;:\
	:SF=^]dow %d;:sf=^J:ta=^I:UP=^]up %d;:up=^K:xo:\
	:ce=^]dch 80;:ch=\r^]rig %d;:\
	:bs:pt:xx:

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (10/01/89)

(What is this doing in comp.unix.questions?  It belongs in comp.terminals.
However, followups are now unlikely, so I have not redirected it there.)

In article <11192@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>The Tek4025 is without doubt one of the most poorly designed terminals
>ever made.

Indeed.  I have another 4025 termcap, but yours should do the job.

Note that the one completely impossible `feature' of the 4025---there
is no workaround, short of rewriting the ROM code---is that it confuses
keyboard input with computer input during `escape' sequences.  That is,
if the computer sends

	^]rig 23\r

to send the cursor right 23 characters, and you happen to press the `l'
key while that sequence is working its way across the RS232 cable into
the 4025, the 4025 will imagine that the computer sent something like

	^]rlig 23\r

which either has no effect, or else prints `rlig 23' (I cannot recall
which).

This `feature' causes trouble more often at low baud rates%, so it is
best to keep the 4025 connected at 9600 baud (although it can only
write characters to the screen at around 400 per second, it uses all
available memory for incoming data, so flow control is rarely a problem).
-----
% At 1200 baud, an 8-character sequence takes .067 seconds, giving an
  `error window' 8 times larger than at 9600 baud (.0083 seconds).

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (10/04/89)

In article <11192@smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn@smoke (Doug Gwyn) writes:
| In article <1989Sep28.165050.5839@uunet!unhd> rgd611@uunet!unhd (R. G. Desroches II) writes:
| >I am using Ultrix-32 V3.2 with a tektronix 4025.  I need a termcap ...
|
| The Tek4025 is without doubt one of the most poorly designed terminals
| ever made.  I would advise getting a better terminal.

I was saddled with a whole slew of those boat anchors while working in
a pubs department over at Tek.  We trashed 'em and bought AnnArbor's
(at a quarter of the cost, even considering the Tek internal
discount!).

One other very bad misfeature (of the *many*) was that repeated
insert/delete-character or insert/delete-line didn't actually remove
stuff from memory (they did everything with internal linked lists; I
saw the spec), and after a while, the display processor couldn't scan
enough "jump-to-there... now jump-to-here" memory references during
the horizontal trace and got really confused and put multiple cursors
on the screen, usually jiggling badly in the process.  The only thing
that cleared memory was a "clear screen", so 'vi' users tended to hit
the ^L a lot if they were doing a lot of relatively confined editing.
(Of course, if a user "interrupts" the command sequences being sent by
the host, garbage appeared on the screen, so ^L was learned *real*
fast...)

Tek makes good scopes.  The rest?  Well, uh, ... Tek makes good
scopes... :-)
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |

Kemp@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL (10/06/89)

Randal Schwartz writes:

 > Tek makes good scopes.  The rest?  Well, uh, ... Tek makes
 > good scopes... :-)

To be fair, Tek did make a good terminal, the 4107, and in fact I'm
typing on one of them right now.  At the time it was introduced, it had
no competition.  We used a lot of them, and never found an application
that broke it's VT-100 compatibility.

Of course, we also had a 4115; now *that* was a piece of doodoo.

  Dave Kemp <Kemp@dockmaster.ncsc.mil>