[comp.unix.questions] Sun font stuff

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (10/05/89)

I've recently been given a chance to play with a Sun workstation (wow!)
and need some advice on fonts.  First, I found all the fonts in the
/usr/lib/fixedwidthfonts, is there any way to display a sample of each
font so I don't have to pick a font, exit suntools, re-enter suntools?  I'd like
to see them all together on the screen if I could.  Second, we have 3
machines NFS'ed together.  For 2 of them the default font is fine and dandy,
for the third it's pretty small.  I assume there is a table somewhere telling
the system the default font.  Where is the silly thing?  The problem here is
we have a case tool, on that third machine all text in it is pretty small.
I'm hoping this case tool is using the default system font.  I should mention
the clock, mail, etc icons on this third machine are pretty small as well.

Jim
ucsd!sagpd1!jharkins

dan@dsi.COM (Dan Mick) (10/06/89)

In article <486@sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:
>.../usr/lib/fixedwidthfonts, is there any way to display a sample of each
>font so I don't have to pick a font, exit suntools, re-enter suntools?

You can try a {cmd,shell}tool -Wt <fontfilename> and see a window with that
font...cd to /usr/lib/fonts/fixedwidthfonts to save your fingers.

>I assume there is a table somewhere telling
>the system the default font.

~/.suntools or ~/.sunview has the default font; change it with defaultsedit
once you're in sunview or suntools, or edit it by hand if you're one of
those nuts'n'bolts-ers.

ben@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Ben Lotto) (10/07/89)

On 6 Oct 89 00:42:06 GMT,
dan@dsi.COM (Dan Mick) said:

Dan> In article <486@sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins)
Dan> writes:

>I assume there is a table somewhere telling
>the system the default font.

Dan> ~/.suntools or ~/.sunview has the default font; change it with
Dan> defaultsedit once you're in sunview or suntools, or edit it by hand
Dan> if you're one of those nuts'n'bolts-ers.

Actually, the file which tells the defaults for things is ~/.defaults
and a line of the form

/SunView/Font	"/usr/lib/fonts/fixedwidthfonts/serif.r.16"

will set the default font.  It's probably better to change this using
Defaults Editor.
--

-B. A. Lotto  (ben@nsf1.mth.msu.edu)
Department of Mathematics/Michigan State University/East Lansing, MI  48824