[comp.unix.questions] {g,n,}awk vs. /=/

ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) (10/15/89)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my posting about {g,n,}awk's odd handling
of commands such as

	awk '/=/'

A GNU person told me the problem is to be fixed in the next release of gawk.

An AT&T person identified the place in the source code where changes would
be needed to fix the behavior of nawk.

And Sun people claim it is not a bug in awk; the awk writeups are to be
changed to explain the situation, though.

	Arthur David Olson   ado@alw.nih.gov   ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

brister@td2cad.intel.com (James Brister) (10/16/89)

In article <9157@elsie.UUCP> ado@elsie.UUCP (Arthur David Olson) writes:
>  And Sun people claim it is not a bug in awk; the awk writeups are to be
>  changed to explain the situation, though.

If I write a program that has a bug in it, and then after I discover the bug I
change the documentation to reflect the bug, isn't it a bug any more? :-)

James
--
James Brister                                          brister@td2cad.intel.com
Intel Corp.                                      {decwrl,oliveb}!td2cad!brister

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) (10/17/89)

In article <BRISTER.89Oct15102425@aries.td2cad.intel.com> brister@td2cad.intel.com (James Brister) writes:
>If I write a program that has a bug in it, and then after I discover the bug I
>change the documentation to reflect the bug, isn't it a bug any more? :-)

	Nope -- it's a _feature_!	;-)

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 694-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'