[comp.unix.questions] afio - extract single files?

tbetz@upaya.UUCP (Tom Betz) (10/07/89)

The discussion of multiple-tape cpio archives prompted me to
recommend afio, which defaults to writing cpio-compatible tape
archives, but then it occurred to me that cpio would be unable
to recognize an afio-created archive with more than one tape.

And then i went to try to figure out how one would extract just
one file from an afio-created archive, and realized that I don't
know how!

How does one do that?

Seems like something i should be able to do...
--
"For a successful technology,          |  Tom Betz - GBS - 914-375-1510
 reality must take precedence over     |      tbetz@upaya.lilink.com

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (10/14/89)

In article <902@upaya.UUCP> tbetz@upaya.UUCP (Tom Betz) writes:

>And then i went to try to figure out how one would extract just
>one file from an afio-created archive, and realized that I don't
>know how!
>
>How does one do that?

afio -iv -b[block_size]k -y "name_of_file_to_get" /dev/tapedrive

Note: -Y will retrieve everything _except_ that file. By the way,
      afio allows a better use of the wild-cards than does cpio.
--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016

tbetz@dasys1.UUCP (Tom Betz) (10/21/89)

Quoth tbetz@upaya.UUCP (Tom Betz) in <902@upaya.UUCP>:

|And then I went to try to figure out how one would extract just
|one file from an afio-created archive, and realized that I don't
|know how!
|
|How does one do that?

Ake Sandgren was kind enough to direct me to the -y switch, which
works, though not entirely consistently with the way other
archiver programs work.  For example, while 'afio -i -y "tbetz/progwork"'
results in the contents of that directory being installed as
desired, 'afio -i -y "tbetz/progwork/" does not work, nor does
'afio -i -y "tbetz/progwork/*".

However, I now know how to use this feature, and only wonder that
the only reply I received originated in Sweden!

Thanks, Ake.
--
"I don't run - I tend to black my eyes." - D.Parton | hombre!marob!upaya!tbetz