[net.cooks] DUCK!!!

leisch@butler.UUCP (Roger Leisch) (11/14/85)

  hello:

   Since duck and geese are now in season and the flyway is started
I was wondering if anyone has any favorite wild duck or goose recipes
they would like to share!I have been givivg my bag away the past few
years because I've yet to cook a decent tasting duck!Can anyone help
me out?
  please send replies to :
                          uw-beaver!tikal!dataio!butler!leisch

   Thanks alot in advance.

brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (11/23/85)

I've been experimenting with duck for some time; I'm not fully satisfied
yet, but what's pretty good so far is praised by the victims who keep
coming back for the next try:

Defrost the duck the day before.  Take out the giblets and neck
and all the rest of that stuff and keep it cold if you're going
to make gravy from it, otherwise boil up the giblets and give
them to the cat.

Just before you leave for work the morning of duck night, put
the cleaned and defrosted ducks into a plastic bag with a mixture
of ginger (about 1/2 tbsp ground ginger) and 1/2 bottle (1/2 cup or so)
of soy sauce (low-salt if you can get it), 1/4 cup orange juice,
and a little water. Squeeze the bag so that the duck gets soaked on
all sides in this goo.  Use a small bowl to hold the bag so that
when it leaks you don't have a complete mess.  Leave it in the
refrigerator until you get home. (At least 4 hours, 8 is better).

About an hour before you want to eat, preheat the oven to 500
degrees (F).  Take an onion and chop it up a bit - quarters or
eighths.  Do the same to a peeled orange.  Sprinkle a little more
ginger on the orange, wad the orange and onion up into a ball
with your hand, and jam it into the cavity of the duck.  Tie the
legs together to hold the cavity closed (I use those twist-ties
that come with trash bags because they're easy to remove).

You can paint a little more soy and ginger mixture on the duck
if you want.  A little honey or sugar in this will give a nice
glaze to the skin.

Put it in a roasting rack and stick it in the oven.
After 10 minutes, turn the temperature down to 375 and
about 1/2 hour later (depends a whole lot on your oven and the
size of the duck!) you'll have a nicely cooked pink duck.  Let
it go a little longer if you want.

About 1/2 duck per hungry person is right.  I just take a big
knife and split the duck down the middle and serve it with all
the orange and onion still inside.  Do them a favor and
cut the wing and leg joints in the kitchen before you serve it.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego

	decvax\ 	brian@ucsd.arpa
	akgua  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc

vch@rruxo.UUCP (Kerro Panille) (12/03/85)

>Put it in a roasting rack and stick it in the oven.  (was preheated to 500)
>After 10 minutes, turn the temperature down to 375 and
>about 1/2 hour later (depends a whole lot on your oven and the
>size of the duck!) you'll have a nicely cooked pink duck.  Let
>it go a little longer if you want.

40 min. duck?? That doesn't seem quite long enough. Any recipie I've ever seen
requires over two hours in the oven, with 15 mins or so at 500 to crisp it up.

The first time I made duck, I undercooked it. You could see the layers of fat
under the skin. GROSS! The idea of cooking the duck for 2-3 hours is to melt
all of that fat. Those little suckers are VERY fatty. Most resturants cook
them ahead of time, and crisp them before serving. (My brother's a chef - that's
where I get my info from)

--
Vince Hatem          	               ----------------		           A
Bell Communications Research           | UZI          |----------|_ _ _\/  T

   TRUE GRIT MYSTERIES - The detective series for those who NEVER eat quiche!
         (WARNING - MAY BE EMOTIONALLY DISTURBING TO HAMSTER LOVERS)

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (12/05/85)

>The first time I made duck, I undercooked it. You could see the layers of fat
>under the skin. GROSS! The idea of cooking the duck for 2-3 hours is to melt
>all of that fat. Those little suckers are VERY fatty. Most resturants cook
>them ahead of time, and crisp them before serving. (My brother's a chef -
>that's where I get my info from)
>Vince Hatem

Duck (and goose etc.) are fatty.  One trick I learned from a genuine French
chef I worked with a few nights (only way I could afford good eats in
college was by barter) was to parboil the bird for about 20 min.  She
halved them first, but I think that was only because 1/2 duck was a
serving.  Drop the bird in violently boiling water and a large amount of
the fat will melt and rise to the top.  Remove and let dry in air before
roasting.  You can refridgerate to store at this point.  Roasting time is
cut to about 1/2 hour or so in a hot oven.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

chai@utflis.UUCP (H. Chai) (12/08/85)

In article <13696@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Richard Newman-Wolfe) writes:
>>The first time I made duck, I undercooked it. You could see the layers of fat
>>under the skin. GROSS! The idea of cooking the duck for 2-3 hours is to melt
>>all of that fat. Those little suckers are VERY fatty.
>>Vince Hatem
>
>One trick I learned from a genuine French chef I worked with a few nights
>was to parboil the bird for about 20 min.

_Joy_of_Cooking_ recommands putting the duck/goose into a very hot (450 deg F)
oven for a few minutes and also pricking the skin with a fork to let most of the
fat run out.  They also recommand a roasting time of 20 min. to the pound.
(at 350 deg F).

--
Henry Chai, just a humble student at the
Faculty of Library and Information Science, U of Toronto

amcy@adelie.UUCP (Anthony Yeracaris) (12/12/85)

In article <13696@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Richard Newman-Wolfe) writes:
>>The first time I made duck, I undercooked it. You could see the layers of fat
>>under the skin. GROSS! The idea of cooking the duck for 2-3 hours is to melt
>>all of that fat. Those little suckers are VERY fatty. Most resturants cook
>>them ahead of time, and crisp them before serving. (My brother's a chef -
>>that's where I get my info from)
>>Vince Hatem
>
>Duck (and goose etc.) are fatty.  One trick I learned from a genuine French
>chef I worked with a few nights (only way I could afford good eats in
>college was by barter) was to parboil the bird for about 20 min.  ...
>Nemo

Parboiling is one strategy, but if you buy a small  FRESHly-killed  duck
or  goose,  you  have  much less fat to worry about (besides the obvious
gastronomic advantages).  Or, if you are  stuck  with  a  fatty  sucker,
another  strategy is to "prick" it during roasting:  take a cooking fork
and literally prick the guy every so often in its  fattier  parts;  this
allows  the  fat to escape and drip into the pan.  Finally, if you STILL
have a lot of fat, scrape it off!  (It will be found under the skin.)

An excellent way to cook  duck  and  goose,  by  the  way,  is  over  an
(indirect) charcoal fire; we cooked two geese this way for Thanksgiving.
--
LIVE:	Anthony M. C. Yeracaris, (617) 965-8480 x16
USPS:	Adelie Corporation, 288 Walnut St., Newtonville, MA  02160

vch@rruxo.UUCP (Kerro Panille) (12/15/85)

>>The first time I made duck, I undercooked it. You could see the layers of fat
>>under the skin. GROSS! The idea of cooking the duck for 2-3 hours is to melt
>>all of that fat. Those little suckers are VERY fatty. Most resturants cook
>>them ahead of time, and crisp them before serving. (My brother's a chef -
>>that's where I get my info from)
>>Vince Hatem
>
>Duck (and goose etc.) are fatty.  One trick I learned from a genuine French
>chef I worked with a few nights (only way I could afford good eats in
>college was by barter) was to parboil the bird for about 20 min.  She
>halved them first, but I think that was only because 1/2 duck was a
>serving.  Drop the bird in violently boiling water and a large amount of
>the fat will melt and rise to the top.  Remove and let dry in air before
>roasting.  You can refridgerate to store at this point.  Roasting time is
>cut to about 1/2 hour or so in a hot oven.
>Nemo

That sounds like a good idea. I also heard that if you open up the skin near
the back of the bird, and slide your hands between the meat and the skin,
seperating the skin from the meat, that it helps the fat run off when it
melts.

--
Vince Hatem          	               ----------------		           A
Bell Communications Research           | UZI          |----------|_ _ _\/  T
Raritan River Software Systems Center  |              |----------|     /\  &
444 Hoes Lane                          ----------------  ROGER GUTS 	   T
4D-360                                   /     /\  DON'T NEED NO STINKIN'
Piscataway, NJ 08854                    /     /           NECKTIES
(201) 699-4869                         /-----/
...ihnp4!rruxo!vch

   TRUE GRIT MYSTERIES - The detective series for those who NEVER eat quiche!
         (WARNING - MAY BE EMOTIONALLY DISTURBING TO HAMSTER LOVERS)

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (01/12/86)

Being a recent convert to both eating and cooking duck (due, I think, to
some early experiences with some poorly cooked and abysmally greasy versions)
I was pleased to see duck discussed.  Most of the recipes revolved around
roast duck, however, so I offer something completely different for variety.
The recipe is taken from "The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook" by Gloria Bley
Miller and is only one of many duck recipes (not to mention a lot of other
ones).
                     Red-cooked Shanghai Duck

1 bunch scallions			1 duck
2 slices fresh ginger root		1/8 cup sugar
duck giblets				3/4 cup soy sauce
2 or three cloves star anise		1 cup water
		1 tablespoon sherry (see note)

1. Cut scallions in 3-inch sections; slice ginger root. Place in heavy pan
(I use my pressue cooker) along with duck giblets and star anise. Wipe duck
inside and out with a damp cloth. Place in pan breast side down.

2. Combine sugar, soy sauce, water and sherry and pour over duck. Bring to
a boil; then simmer, covered, for 45 min..

3. Turn bird over and simmer, covered, 45 min more. Let duck and liquid cool,
uncovered, 10-15 min. Skim off fat (I use a basting syringe).

4. Heat duck and liquid, uncovered, over a medium flame, basting frequently
until duck skin is dark brown and the liquid reduced to about a cupful (about
15 min).

5. Serve. I usually have rice and some sort of vegetable. Not very traditional
maybe but it seems to work. In a western style dinner (i.e. one entree plus
side dishes) one 3-4 lb duck serves two fairly comfortably.

Note: Don't use Japanese soy sauce. While an excellent product in the proper
setting it is a bit too heavy for my taste for this dish. Don't use fake soy
sauce, Chun-King or whatever. Find a chinese grocery or a store that stocks
genuine chinese soy sauce. The recipe calls for sherry, as a commonly available
substitute for chinese wine (use that if you can find it). You should use a
fairly dry sherry for best results although I once made it with Bristol Cream
out of desperation and it worked ok.