[comp.unix.questions] modem programs for Unix

jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) (10/21/89)

Hi there..

Does anyone know of any terminal programs, besides "tip" or "cu" for
Unix systems ?

We have a Sun 3/160 and a Sparc with a Telebit T2500, and a CDS 224 hooked
to the serial ports..  I've looked everywhere, but I can't seem to find
ANY terminal programs for Unix that work with our system.  Tip and cu just
don't cut it, since they don't have any file transfer protocols, etc.  Are
there any modem programs for Unix systems which even come close to those
available for PCs ?

I did manage to find a program called "pcomm", a terminal which has the
"look and feel" of procomm.  Alas, it was for System V, and even though I
got it to compile and run on the Sun, with the Sys V compatible compiler and
libraries, all it would do is dial the modem, and send stuff out.  I could
see data coming in, but it wouldn't appear on my screen...

Any help would be appreciated!

Bye
Jim

--
+------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
|          James S. Burwell                      |                          |

karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (10/22/89)

jimb@faatcrl.uucp writes:
   Does anyone know of any terminal programs, besides "tip" or "cu" for
   Unix systems ?

There are copies of a utility called xcomm, plus a later, much more
enhanced version of the same concept called xcmalt, available via anon
ftp to tut.cis.ohio-state.edu in pub/xcomm.  It is SysV-oriented, but
is known to build and run successfully on Suns using /usr/5bin/cc, as
well as on Pyramids under the att universe.  Once upon a time, I also
built it under HP-UX, but that was several releases of HP-UX ago, and
I don't know if it would still build there.

They're also accessible via uucp to osu-cis; request
	osu-cis!~/xcomm/xcomm.tar.Z
	osu-cis!~/xcomm/xcmalt.tar.Z

I recommend xcmalt for its features and general bug-free-ness, though
in practice I use xcomm more.

--Karl

andyb@coat.com (Andy Behrens) (10/22/89)

In article <1053@faatcrl.UUCP> jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:

>Does anyone know of any terminal programs, besides "tip" or "cu" for
>Unix systems ?

We have been using a commercial program called MLINK for several years
now, and are very happy with it.  We use it to transfer files between
our 150 stores (PC's and Suns) and our mainframes (Sequent Symmetries).

Its features include:
	- Wildcard file transfers
	- A powerful script language.

	- Auto-logon, which works with almost any brand of modem.

	- Compatibility with Xmodem and Kermit protocols (although some
	of the features, like wildcards, only work on Mlink-to-Mlink
	file transfers).

We have written script programs that wait until a preset time at night,
call our mainframe through a public network, dial an alternate network
if they are unable to log on through the first, and transfer all files
that are waiting to be sent.

It runs on most CP/M machines, IBM PC, and a great many Unix/Xenix
systems.

If you need more information, call the company that makes it:
	Corporate Microsystems, Inc.
	(603) 448-5193

--
Live justly, love gently, walk humbly.
					Andy Behrens

also:   andyb%coat.com@dartmouth.edu
uucp:   {uunet,rutgers}!dartvax!coat.com!andyb
bitnet: andyb%coat.com@dartcms1
RFD 1, Box 116, East Thetford, Vt. 05043		(802) 649-1258
Burlington Coat, PO Box 729, Lebanon, N.H. 03766	(603) 448-5000

mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) (10/23/89)

> +------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
> |          James S. Burwell                      |                          |
> |                                                | "UseNet...A text network | > |          UUCP:                                 |  in a binary world" - Me |
> |          ...!{ames!netsys|rutgers}!faatcrl     |                          |
> |          !jimb                                 |  "How do you say         |
> |                                     .          |   'multitasking' in      |
> |          Internet:                   .         |   MS-DOSish?  Network    |
> |      //  jimb@faatcrl.UUCP            .    **  |   File Server!" - Me     |
> |     //                                 .  **** |                          |
> | \\ //    GEnie:         Airwarior:      . .**  |  <reserved for future>   |
> |  \X/     JIMBURWELL     Techrat          .     |  <expansion....      >   |
> +------------------------------------------------+--------------------------+
                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
							Arggggg! look what the
							cat dragged in!

Since so many sites are running B2.11.17, or Cnews I assume some are
modifying the .signature limitation code.  Great!  I can't wait to see
where this one expands to!  Please, oh please send me email with your
new signature when you change it.

And before you flame back, just read the news newusers guide please, and
remember that It's my dime, and my feeds dime..,!  This signature probably
cost about $10-12, and my article aboutthe same.  Total cost, about $20.

Hey, why not cut it to 4 lines, change it once a week, and create a
scrolling window.

Uh...  foobar, thats you dear!

references: read the group comp.lists, look for netiquette, etc.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd@adelphi.UUCP  or  mark@promark.UUCP

avr@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (adam.v.reed) (10/23/89)

In article <1053@faatcrl.UUCP>, jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
>   Tip and cu just
> don't cut it, since they don't have any file transfer protocols, etc.

Really? Try the following:
1. Obtain, compile, and install the public domain umodem program.
	Most serious UNIX installations have it already. To see
	if this step can be omitted, try 'whence umodem' in ksh.
2. Call the remote machine with tip and get in.
3. Start up xmodem/ymodem/zmodem in appropriate mode on the remote.
4. Use the ~C escape to start up umodem on the local machine:
	~C umodem -<options> <file>
You can substitute any other file transfer protocol for 'modem'
in the above if you have, or can write, a small protocol-handling
program analogous to 'umodem'.

Incidentally, the ~C escape of tip is documented on the first
page of tip(1C).
				Adam_V_Reed@ATT.com

mrm@sceard.Sceard.COM (M.R.Murphy) (10/24/89)

In article <KARL.89Oct21170323@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>jimb@faatcrl.uucp writes:
>   Does anyone know of any terminal programs, besides "tip" or "cu" for
>   Unix systems ?
>
>[ description of xcomm, xcmalt deleted...]
>I recommend xcmalt for its features and general bug-free-ness, though
>in practice I use xcomm more.

I like kermit. The features are more than adequate, the number of types
of systems supported is very large, and the price is right :-)
---
Mike Murphy  Sceard Systems, Inc.  544 South Pacific St. San Marcos, CA  92069
mrm@Sceard.COM        {hp-sdd,nosc,ucsd,uunet}!sceard!mrm      +1 619 471 0655

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (10/30/89)

In article <1053@faatcrl.UUCP> jimb@faatcrl.UUCP (Jim Burwell) writes:
>Does anyone know of any terminal programs, besides "tip" or "cu" for
>Unix systems ?
>Unix?

I am sending you XCMALT. Dial Directories. Ascii File upload. Ascii
session capture. Xmodem transfers. CIS Quick-B transfers. Put. Take.
Scripts for dialing and logging in.
--
Jean-Pierre Radley					      jpr@jpradley.uucp
New York, NY					      72160.1341@compuserve.com

jpr@dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) (10/30/89)

In article <KARL.89Oct21170323@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>There are copies of a utility called xcomm, plus a later, much more
>enhanced version of the same concept called xcmalt, available via anon
>ftp to tut.cis.ohio-state.edu in pub/xcomm.
>                                           Once upon a time, I also
>built it under HP-UX, but that was several releases of HP-UX ago, and
>I don't know if it would still build there.
>They're also accessible via uucp to osu-cis; request
>	osu-cis!~/xcomm/xcomm.tar.Z
>	osu-cis!~/xcomm/xcmalt.tar.Z

Karl, what version of xcmalt do you have there? If it isn't
2.0, from August of 1989, please let me know and I will send
it to you.

This is the version which I posted to Compuserve's Tangent Forum,
LIBrary 5.

A few weeks ago, an HP-UX user wrote me that he made one change
in the makefile (changed -ltermcap to -lcurses), and was then
amazed that the age of portable code had really arrived.