[comp.unix.questions] mailer capacity

6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (10/30/89)

Does anybody have any guidelines for the maximum size it is reasonable
to expect the smallest-capacity mailer out there to have?

In other words, what size message am I limited to if I can't know
ahead-of-time the size of message a given mailer can handle? What's the
worst (smallest) case?

--

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/31/89)

According to 6600pete@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu:
>Does anybody have any guidelines for the maximum size it is reasonable
>to expect the smallest-capacity mailer out there to have?

A brain-dead mailer on a 16-bit machine could conceivably choke on messages
with a total size of 32K or greater.  Allowing for headers and other cruft,
I'd limit each mail message to 28K or so.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>

ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe) (10/31/89)

In article <254CF7C8.22537@ateng.com>, chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> A brain-dead mailer on a 16-bit machine could conceivably choke on messages
> with a total size of 32K or greater.  Allowing for headers and other cruft,
> I'd limit each mail message to 28K or so.

Too big.  I've run into a couple of relays recently that have 25k limits.
It's not only the ideal capacity of the mailer that counts, but how much
a site is willing to forward.