Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Wed, 11-May-83 15:30:46 EDT

  I can confirm that there is indeed a message at the end of "Strawberry Fields
Forever". Ths first time I noticed it I was in another part of the house and
had the stereo turned on loud so I could hear it. Heard in this way, the words
are very distinctly "I buried Paul" (spoken by John).

                        GREG
 {ucbvax!hplabs | allegra!nbires | decvax!brl-bmd | harpo!seismo | menlo70}
       		        !hao!woods

jvs (05/12/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site alice.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/7/83; site iwu1d.UUCP
Date:Thu, 12-May-83 06:42:43 EDT
Organization:BTL Naperville, Il.

I can remember when the whole "Paul is Dead" hype was going around.  I think
I was 14 at the time.  At that time I dug out my old 45rpm copy of "Strawberry
Fields Forever" (I believe that this record was around two years old at the
time) and listend to it.  I thought all the hype involving this song was
really dumb at that particular point because this record was not current.
But sure enough there it was plain as day, "I Buried Paul".  They were the
last thing you heard on the record.  Interesting, but obviously a joke since
Paul was very much alive and all the Beatles seemed determind to convine
the world that they wern't doing it (somebody obviously was).

But the story continues.  Many years later the big Beatles greastest hits albums
came out. You remember, the big two volume, eight record set.  Anyway,
"Strawberry Fields Forever" was included in this set.  A friend of mine
had these records and one day while we were listening to them, I told him
about my earlier experience.  He told me I was wrong and prceded to play the
song.  At the end we both very distinctly heard the words
"I'm tired of it all".  I was surprised and a little embarresed but I didn't
believe I had been wrong years earlier.  Once again I dug up my old 45 (yes
I still had it) and compared the two.  To this day I still don't know what
it was all about.  Does anyone else (besides the Beatles)?

					John V. Smith

jjm (05/12/83)

	Backwards, Forwards, slow + fast messages in the vinyl....

	Have any of you ever notice strange messages in the vinyl?
	I mean the wide ring of blank vinyl around the label in the
	center of the disk.  I used to work in a radio station and
	we found several messages inscribed in that section of the
	disk - dedications, doodles, etc.

	I don't have any examples to tell you about - but maybe
	some of you out there have noticed these messages, also.
	Unlike the musical secret messages which are inserted by
	the band or engineers, these messages must be put on the
	disks by the people that make the master molds.

	Jim McParland
	ABI - HO
	hou5e!jjm

jdd (05/12/83)

In at least one Beatles interview, it was stated that
the words at the end of Strawberry Fields were not
"I buried Paul" but "cranberry sauce".

Cheers,
John ("Oldtime Beatlemaniac") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill

grw (05/12/83)

	According to George Harrison, what was really said at the
    end of Strawberry Fields was "I'm very bored."  The real fun
    Beatles stuff is in `I am the Walrus' and `Revolution #9'.

	By the way, just to show us Christians know how to have
    a good time, check out the backwards message in the song
    "Rainbow" by Randy Stonehill  (The album is called "Between
    the Glory & the Flame)

						-Glenn

jjm (05/12/83)

	Gee, I always thought that the "I buried Paul" message was really
	"I'm very bored"...

	Jim McParland
	ABI - HO
	hou5e!jjm

firby (05/13/83)

  ... or does the end of Srawberry Fields say "I'm very small" instead?
   Only the walrus knows for sure.
                          joanne