[net.cooks] What is "castor" sugar?

anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) (01/13/86)

I have a cookbook which comes from Australia and some of the recipes
call for "castor" sugar.  I know this was discussed before but I
didn't have a use for the info then and forgot it but now I need to know:  What
type of sugar is this?  In some recipes this looks like it is probably
what we call confectioners sugar.  Is that correct?  Send replies
to me and I will summarize to the net.  Thanks in advance.
--
 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-ngp}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.UTEXAS.EDU

spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) (01/14/86)

Never heard of castor sugar but this reminds me of the
fact, as I understand it, that raw sugar is illegal in the
U.S.  In England you can buy demerara sugar (wonderful
stuff) but you can't bring it into the country (raw
possibly infested agricultural product).

Anybody have a better knowledge of this law?
As explained to me, all brown sugars sold in the U.S. are
made from refined white sugar with molasses etc. added.

steve

mgh@mtuni.UUCP (Marcus Hand) (01/15/86)

In article <269@utastro.UUCP> anita@utastro.UUCP (Anita Cochran) writes:
>I have a cookbook which comes from Australia and some of the recipes
>call for "castor" sugar.  I know this was discussed before but I
>didn't have a use for the info then and forgot it but now I need to know:  What
>type of sugar is this?  In some recipes this looks like it is probably
>what we call confectioners sugar.  Is that correct?  Send replies
>to me and I will summarize to the net.  Thanks in advance.
>--
> Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-ngp}!utastro!anita
>                arpa:  anita@astro.UTEXAS.EDU
>                snail: Astronomy Dept., The Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX, 78712
>                at&t:  (512) 471-1471

Castor sugar is white refined regular sugar with a granularity about the
same size as table salt.

Others you might come across are:

	Granulated		regular refined white
	Icing			powdered
	Demererra (sp)		brown coloured, with a granularity like
				regular white
	Moistened		fine grain, semi-refined.  Often a bit
				sticky and it can lump. Brown
	Brown			as Moistened
	Treacle			Like molasses, but with the consistency of
				tar
	Golden Syrup		Like treacle, but refined.  It looks like
				light, clear honey
	Loaf			Coarse refined white (I think) used for jams
				and marmalades
	???	those brown translucent chunks that look like road chippings
		that they sometimes serve with coffee

--
			Marcus Hand	(mtuni!mgh)

rcj@burl.UUCP (Curtis Jackson) (01/16/86)

In article <11401@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) writes:

>In fact, as I understand it, that raw sugar is illegal in the
>U.S.  In England you can buy demerara sugar (wonderful
>stuff) but you can't bring it into the country (raw
>possibly infested agricultural product).
>
>Anybody have a better knowledge of this law?
>As explained to me, all brown sugars sold in the U.S. are
>made from refined white sugar with molasses etc. added.

Right fact, wrong reason.  There was a huge furor in the Wall Street Journal
many months ago about this subject.  Seems that sugar in the U.S. is about
10+ times as expensive as sugar on the open world market.  So, to protect
the guys who sell sugar here, raw sugar was disallowed.  The thing that
caused such an uproar in the Journal revolved around the fact that it was
actually cheaper for companies to buy foreign-made confections and *get
the sugar out of them*; they made a lot of money that way.  The sugar
companies here complained to the White House, so Reagan made a bunch of
additions to the list of 'banned' items.  There were a couple of places in
New York and Boston who had generations-old family businesses based primarily
on some of the foreign candies and confections that were barred from import --
they were out of business overnight.  The Journal people apparently weren't
too happy with Ronny that day, because the story made front-page.

Oh, please don't write/post and ask me when this occured -- with my wonderful
sense of time I can't even pinpoint the month, much less the exact day.  Sorry.
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3313 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ ihnp4 ulysses cbosgd mgnetp ]!burl!rcj

guy@slu70.UUCP (Guy M. Smith) (01/16/86)

In article <11401@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, spp@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Stephen P Pope) writes:
> As explained to me, all brown sugars sold in the U.S. are
> made from refined white sugar with molasses etc. added.
>
> steve

The information about brown sugar is correct but it is possible to get actual
raw sugar. I've even seen it in packets in some restaurants (The Good Earth
maybe?). Try a co-op or health food store. It actually has a lower molasses
content than a lot of brown sugar.

flowers@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/16/86)

One source I know of says that Castor Sugar is sugar stored with
a vanilla bean.  I've done this and it picks up a wonderful vanilla
aroma.  When the bean gets old you can split it a few times to make
it last longer.  It is nice sugar to have around for sprinkling on
things and putting in coffee, etc.