[net.cooks] How much Vitamin C is too much?

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (12/06/85)

In article <2588@sunybcs.UUCP> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:
>> ++
>> > 	This answers the question, "How much Vitamin C does the body need?"
>> > 250mg per day or 1-2g total is enough to make up for months of deficiency,
>> > hence the answer is considerably less than this.
>> > 				Craig Werner
>... it seems that taking above the RDA of vitamin C for
>extended periods of time (also for many short periods) can lead to quite
>complicated kidney problems.
>     Adrian Zannin
As best I recall from the newpapers, the kidney suffered only when true
mega-doses of the stuff were taken, a la Pauling.  The kidneys excrete
excess vitamin C (and other water-soluble vitamins), which is why an
over-dose of them seems less critical than one of an oil-soluble vitamin
(like A).  However, folks taking 3 grams or more per day were found to
develope kidney problems (at least that is the ball park I remember).
Does anyone know about the effects of chronic ingestion of 1 gram/day
or the effects of short-term use of larger amounts?
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (12/11/85)

> As best I recall from the newpapers, the kidney suffered only when true
> mega-doses of the stuff were taken, a la Pauling.  The kidneys excrete
> excess vitamin C (and other water-soluble vitamins), which is why an
> over-dose of them seems less critical than one of an oil-soluble vitamin
> (like A).  However, folks taking 3 grams or more per day were found to
> develope kidney problems (at least that is the ball park I remember).
> Nemo

	Which kidney problems?  The newspaper articles I have
read said that mega doses of C can cause kidney stones
in some people.  The reason is that the C causes the people
to pass cholestorol which builds up in the kidneys.  Some
people have suggested that it is beneficial to pass the
cholestorol.   The problem is much less likely if you
build up to large doses.

--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny @ Don Steiny Software

evan@pedsgo.UUCP (Evan Marcus) (12/30/85)

In article <13733@rochester.UUCP> nemo@rochester.UUCP (Richard Newman-Wolfe) writes:
>In article <2588@sunybcs.UUCP> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:
>>> ++
>>... it seems that taking above the RDA of vitamin C for
>>extended periods of time (also for many short periods) can lead to quite
>>complicated kidney problems.
>>     Adrian Zannin
>As best I recall from the newpapers, the kidney suffered only when true
>mega-doses of the stuff were taken, a la Pauling.  The kidneys excrete
>excess vitamin C (and other water-soluble vitamins), which is why an
>over-dose of them seems less critical than one of an oil-soluble vitamin
>(like A).  However, folks taking 3 grams or more per day were found to
>develope kidney problems (at least that is the ball park I remember).
>Does anyone know about the effects of chronic ingestion of 1 gram/day
>or the effects of short-term use of larger amounts?
>Nemo

Personal experience: my Dad has taken at least 1g/day for years.  He has
suffered no known side effects, and is rarely sick.  As for myself, I have
been taking it on occasion for years.  I, based on Dad's advice, take 2-3
grams once or twice a day for 2 or 3 days when I feel a cold coming on.
No visible (known) side effects, and I usually kick my colds quite quickly.
If Dad had his way, though, I would be taking 1 gram/day.
--
NAME:   Evan L. Marcus
UUCP:   ...vax135!petsd!pedsgd!pedsgo!evan

marcum@sun.uucp (Alan Marcum) (01/10/86)

Something I've learned in my studies: there's a huge difference in the way
the body handles "natural" (i.e. from food) and "synthetic" (i.e. from a
vat) nutrients.  Indeed, Vitamin C is Vitamin C is Vitamin C, regardless
of the source.  However, in food, there are lots of things found along
with the Vitamin C -- things called "associated food factors."

Natural vitamins can be up to 4-10 times more useful to the body than
synthetic vitamins.  In addition, excesses are disposed of differently.
A study was done, as follows (numbers are meant to be representative,
rather than precise).  People were given, for example, 2G of Vitamin C --
some of the people were given synthetic, others were given natural
(extracted from foods).  Let's say that their bodies could really use
only 1G, and so 1G was excreted.  The doses were maintained for a while,
and then cut back to, for example, 1G.  Those in the synthetic vitamin
group continued to excrete 1G for quite a while; those in the natural
vitamin group began retaining all the Vitamin C.

Regarding the fat soluable vitamins (eg. A, D, E), there is, again, a
great difference between a natural and a synthetic vitamin (even excluding
the left- vs. right-handed differences).  It is possible to get an over-
dose of a synthetic fat-soluable vitamin.  Indeed, the FDA, for a long
time, limited the amount of Vitamin A in a single tablet.  Yet, there is
only one known case of Vitamin A toxicity with natural Vitamin A: someone
was stranded in Alaska, resorted to a diet of polar bear liver for a few
weeks, and had a slight case.

One last note, on "natural": many manufactures are claiming "natural" and
"organic" food supplements.  According to the FDA and FTC in this matter
(natural and organic as applied to food supplements), "natural" means
something from nature (and so your great aunt's polyester pant suit is
a "natural" pant suit), and "organic" means in the chemical sense (i.e.
contains a carbon-based compound).  The "natural" I reference above means
extracted from food -- concentrates, and such -- and excludes things such
as the ascorbic acid excreted by yeast when fed corn syrup ("Vitamin C
derived from corn").
--
Alan M. Marcum				Sun Microsystems, Technical Consulting
...!{dual,ihnp4}!sun!nescorna!marcum	Mountain View, California

tedrick@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (01/17/86)

>Regarding the fat soluable vitamins (eg. A, D, E), there is, again, a
>great difference between a natural and a synthetic vitamin (even excluding
>the left- vs. right-handed differences).  It is possible to get an over-
>dose of a synthetic fat-soluable vitamin.  Indeed, the FDA, for a long
>time, limited the amount of Vitamin A in a single tablet.  Yet, there is
>only one known case of Vitamin A toxicity with natural Vitamin A: someone
>was stranded in Alaska, resorted to a diet of polar bear liver for a few
>weeks, and had a slight case.

I would like to know more about the dangers of taking too much Vitamin D.

About Vitamin A: I once was taking a Vitamin A supplement regularly and
seemed to have a problem with my skin as a consequence, such as
skin on my lips cracking. Anyone know anything about this?

Note: If Craig Werner replies, please don't call me an idiot or
otherwise insult me as you have done in the past. I am not interested
in your opinions of me personally, just some medical facts.