[net.cooks] growing ginger

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (01/14/86)

I have more ginger root than I need.  Rather than freeze it, I'd
like to plant it.  "The Apartment Farmer" by Duane Newcomb says
to plant it "with sprout end up".  Which end is that?  Is ginger
annual or perennial?  Are the leaves, stalks, or whatever good
for anything, or do I just wind up with a larger piece of root that
I can dig up later?

Of course if it works I'll have much more than I need but...
--

The Maxwell R. Mayhem Institute for Quandary Requiem and Maternal Sciamachy
Accept no substitutes.

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (01/17/86)

In article <301@pluto.UUCP> warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) writes:
>I have more ginger root than I need.  Rather than freeze it, I'd
>like to plant it.  "The Apartment Farmer" by Duane Newcomb says
>to plant it "with sprout end up".  Which end is that?  Is ginger
>annual or perennial?  Are the leaves, stalks, or whatever good
>for anything, or do I just wind up with a larger piece of root that
>I can dig up later?

Some friends of ours planted ginger root.  Leave half of it (or so) out
of the soil, planted on its side and it sould grow.  The one they planted
completely under soil rotted.  As far as "sprout end" goes, that's the
end that the little protuberances stick off of, the other end is always
cut.  The plant is rather pretty, and has pleasant blossoms, but I doubt
you would want to eat it.  Good luck.
Nemo

--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

eac@drutx.UUCP (CveticEA) (01/17/86)

In regards to the request about planting ginger from the store:

Unfortunately, store bought ginger is usually treated so it won't sprout.
This makes it difficult to grow.

Fortunately, ginger will keep indefinitely if you keep it submerged in
sherry in the refrigerator for future use.

Betsy Cvetic
ihnp4!drutx!eac