[comp.unix.questions] Berkeley Unix on PC?

brister@td2cad.intel.com (James Brister) (11/12/89)

Is there a Berkeley based unix available for desktop sized computers? e.g. The
IBM-PC, Amiga, Apple (cough!) A Sys V--Berkeley mix would be good too. Thanks.

James
--
James Brister                                          brister@td2cad.intel.com
Intel Corp.                                      {decwrl,oliveb}!td2cad!brister

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (11/15/89)

In article <BRISTER.89Nov11093623@aries.td2cad.intel.com>
brister@td2cad.intel.com (James Brister) writes:

> Is there a Berkeley based unix available for desktop sized computers?

A Sun 3/50 or 3/60 is easily desktop-sized -- it's not much bigger than an
IBM AT. SunOS is a 4.2 BSD derivative with many SysV extensions.

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/16/89)

In article <832@ccssrv.UUCP> perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) writes:
>A Sun 3/50 or 3/60 is easily desktop-sized -- it's not much bigger than an
>IBM AT. SunOS is a 4.2 BSD derivative with many SysV extensions.

Actually, the latest release should be based on UNIX System V Release 4.0,
which merges System V, SunOS (4.2BSD), and Xenix into a single system.

Suns do seem to be popular desktop UNIX platforms.  I'm sure there are
others, which should be easy to find in any of the trade journals.

>>A Sun 3/50 or 3/60 is easily desktop-sized -- it's not much bigger than an
>>IBM AT. SunOS is a 4.2 BSD derivative with many SysV extensions.
>
>Actually, the latest release should be based on UNIX System V Release 4.0,

If you're referring to SunOS, the latest release isn't based on S5R4;
S5R4's just barely come out, and I don't know that the "final" tapes are
out (i.e., the same source tapes that'll be shipped to regular source
customers; the "early access" versions are, I think, basically alpha or
beta releases).

>which merges System V, SunOS (4.2BSD), and Xenix into a single system.

(The SunOS from whence the S5R4 stuff came is mostly 4.x stuff, which is
more based on 4.3BSD than on 4.2BSD at this point.)