[comp.unix.questions] another nice one

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (11/09/89)

In article <20519@unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) writes:
>    I forgot to ask. What do you mean by bandwidth and how does that
>relate to my signature?

He means that the 240 or so characters in your "signature" (the one with all
the @ characters) serve no useful function and use up network communication
capacity that could be better used for transmitting potentially useful
information.  Also, many sites have to PAY to receive or transmit that
useless garbage.  Please show consideration and omit such decorations.

>     I forgot to ask. What do you mean by bandwidth and how does that
> relate to my signature?
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Ken @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

In older tty-type terminals the ribbon is called a "print band". If you have
a lot of characters with a high visual density this can cause excessive
wear on the band. Your signature has @-signs, one of the highest density
characters in the ASCII character set, all the way across the width of the
display. This you use up a lot of "band-width".

PS: :->
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter@ficc.uu.net> <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.

yakker@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (matt robinson) (11/10/89)

In article <20540@unix.cis.pitt.edu> (Kenneth L Moore) writes:
>In article <11576@smoke.BRL.MIL> (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>In article <20519@unix.cis.pitt.edu> (Kenneth L Moore) writes:

>==>==>    I forgot to ask. What do you mean by bandwidth and how does that
>==>==>relate to my signature?
>==>
>==>He means that the 240 or so characters in your "signature" (the one with all
>==>the @ characters) serve no useful function and use up network communication
>==>capacity that could be better used for transmitting potentially useful
>==>information.  Also, many sites have to PAY to receive or transmit that
>==>useless garbage.  Please show consideration and omit such decorations.

>I can't believe that four lines causes any significant problems.  Does
>anyone know how much is paid to recieve my .sig? .000000001 cents?

>Sounds like a mountain out of a mole hill to me.

>Also, I don't consider it useless garbage. It allows someone to easily
>identify me. That was its purpose and it seems to serve it pretty well.

>I still don't know how .sig relates to bandwidth.

                    yahoo@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore)
>@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Ken @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

The bandwidth he is referring to is the transmission (across lines,
usually rented through the phone company for various purposes, one of
them news) of your message through those rented lines, across different
nets to other machines across the country.  The bandwidth is a specific
allocation of this line to your message.  Your signature on the end of
your message takes up additional room on the bandwidth signal, thereby
keeping other messages from going through as quickly (thereby costing more
to other machines.)

---------------------------------------*--------------------------------------
"Behold, God, is my salvation, I       |   Internet:    yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu
will trust, and not be afraid.."      |+|      UUCP:    ...ucsd!ucrmath!yakker
                                     |+|+|
"What lies behind you and what lies  |+|+|        The University of California
before you pales insignificant when   |+|                         at Riverside
compared to what lies within you.."    |        Department of Computer Science
---------------------------------------*--------------------------------------

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (11/11/89)

Moore) writes:

|==>==> I forgot to ask. What do you mean by bandwidth and how does that
|==>==>relate to my signature?
|==>
|==>He means that the 240 or so characters in your "signature" (the one with all
|==>the @ characters) serve no useful function and use up network communication
|==>capacity that could be better used for transmitting potentially useful
|==>information.  Also, many sites have to PAY to receive or transmit that
|==>useless garbage.  Please show consideration and omit such decorations.

|I can't believe that four lines causes any significant problems.  Does
|anyone know how much is paid to recieve my .sig? .000000001 cents?

  Noone meant your .sig in itself.  A .sig is useful.  However, using 3 lines
of said .sig to say that your name is Ken is slightly wasteful.  Try piping
your .sig through tr -d '@', or sed -e '2,4d'; it'll be much more acceptable.
Also, you'd be surprised how much 240 bytes cost, passing through thousands of
systems...

(ack. never do fill-paragraph in jove when you forgot to seperate your text
from the included text.)

|Also, I don't consider it useless garbage. It allows someone to easily
|identify me. That was its purpose and it seems to serve it pretty well.
Sure.  The first line serves that purpose.  The next 3 serve absolutely none.
--
Bill Fenner                   wcf@hcx.psu.edu             ..!psuvax1!psuhcx!wcf
sysop@hogbbs.fidonet.org (1:129/87 - 814/238-9633)     ..!lll-winken!/

In article <20540@unix.cis.pitt.edu> you write:
>In article <11576@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>>In article <20519@unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) writes:
>I can't believe that four lines causes any significant problems.  Does
>anyone know how much is paid to recieve my .sig? .000000001 cents?

Hardly.  The current cost of transmission alone is approximately
0.25 cents per kilobyte _per_site_.  Your .sig is about 0.3 kB.
Multiply that by 70,000 sites.  Comes out to $52.50.

Add in the cpu time and cost of storage, and it's considerably
more.

Feel important?

>Sounds like a mountain out of a mole hill to me.

That's 52.5 dollars every time you post it.  85% of it is useless
repetition.  It's you who made the ersatz mountain out of your
lightweight molehill.

Feel creative?

>Also, I don't consider it useless garbage. It allows someone to easily
>identify me. That was its purpose and it seems to serve it pretty well.

Identify you as a self-serving computer services thief.  Keep it up.

Further, it is an insult to the intelligence of tens of thousands of
computer-using professionals that you assume we are not capable of
remembering your name so that you find that you must resort to
banal advertising gimmicks in order to produce your petty brand-loyalty.

If you were _worth_ remembering, it would be for the quality and value
of your postings, not for your fashion design.

Feel successful?

>I still don't know how .sig relates to bandwidth.

This machine (buengc) has more than once been the victim of unnecessary
news blackouts due to an overfull news partition.  Considering that
almost all computer systems allocate space in blocks, your signature
is often the straw that pokes a single byte into the next block.  Your
300 bytes are responsible for a 2k disk block, and without any informational
content whatsoever having been stored.

Feel intelligent?

[79 @'s deleted]
>[35 @'s deleted] Ken [35 @'s deleted]
[79 @'s deleted]

Or do you just feel like an idiot?

				--Blair
				  "It's not even very attractive."

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (11/14/89)

Kenneth L Moore writes (about his voluminous .signature):
> Also, I don't consider it useless garbage. It allows someone to easily
> identify me. That was its purpose and it seems to serve it pretty well.

No; its purpose is to help people to reply to you with electronic
mail.  That is why people are only counting the 240 characters of @-signs,
not the first line.
If your .signature had contained your Postal Address (for example),
I expect that no-one would have thought anything about it.

Isn't there something in one of the comp.newusers.renamed.today postings
about this?  (it used to be in mod.announce.newuser, I think, but I have
not received that sort of group since then, sorry).

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England)

lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Lyndon Nerenberg) (11/16/89)

In article <20540@unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) writes:
>I can't believe that four lines causes any significant problems.  Does
>anyone know how much is paid to recieve my .sig? .000000001 cents?

Let's work it out. Assuming a connection between us and Edmonton (our
nearest feed) that costs 18 cents per minutes, and a 2400 baud link
, in the perfect case we move 240 characters per second. The cost
for one second of LD is .18 * (1/60) = .3 cents to move those three
lines (yes, I'm ignoring newlines, call setup overhead, etc.).

If there are 5000 sites in the same situation, the sum total cost
of moving those three lines around is 5000 * .3 = 1500 cents = $15.00
for every article you post. Most sites pay less to get news, but
some sites pay more -- *substantially* more. See Brian Reid's postings
for a (slightly) more accurate guess as to the actual number of usenet
sites.

>Also, I don't consider it useless garbage. It allows someone to easily
>identify me. That was its purpose and it seems to serve it pretty well.

Except that it contains no information that's already in the header.
The '@' characters serve no useful purpose, other than to make the
signature more visible. In my case, they just give me a headache. I
think this is what everyone else is really complaining about. There
is NOTHING visually appealing about a bunch of BRIGHT '@' characters
on a dark background (and vice versa).

I tend to judge people by the contents of what they write. If I want
to identify you (say, for a reply message) I'll do it by the headers.
Besides, I don't know if I would want to be identified as a
yahoo@ *anything* :-)

Change the '@' to ' ' or something that doesn't mangle everyones
optic nerve and the bitch rate will drop substantially. Or replace
them with an utterly useless saying (see below for example :-)

--
Lyndon Nerenberg  VE6BBM / Computing Services / Athabasca University
  {alberta,decwrl,lsuc}!atha!lyndon || lyndon@cs.AthabascaU.CA

                  The Connector is the Notwork.

jwd@sas.UUCP (John W. DeBoskey) (11/22/89)

In article <1894@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
>In article <20540@unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore)
>writes:  |In article <11576@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>|>In article <20519@unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L
>Moore) writes:

I sometimes am forced to wonder.

   Yes: His .sig definately let's someone know who sent the mail. You
        don't even have to read the name..
   No: It's not like everyone else's.

   However: The last 10 articles I've perused had .sigs varing
            from 4 to 11 lines. His is the smallest so far.

   Now think: News is compressed. How much bandwith is required to send
              a continuous stream of '@' chars, a few bytes of text,
              and then more '@' chars. Please include the 3 cr's
              also. I leave this as a problem to the reader. It costs
              less then sending the average 5 line sig with no repeating
              characters.

   Personally I think the guy has a bad attitude for MAYBE 1 of the
   postings he has made. So what is my opinion. But flaming him
   for a .sig is just plain silly in my viewpoint. It shows some
   people aren't thinking when they let their fingers do the
   typing(aka: disconnect brain, start typing).

                             John W. De Boskey

jwd%sas@rti.rti.org       (w)
jwd%baggins@mcnc.mcnc.org (h)

In article <1338@sas.UUCP> jwd@sas.UUCP (John W. DeBoskey) writes:
>   However: The last 10 articles I've perused had .sigs varing
>            from 4 to 11 lines. His is the smallest so far.

  According to "netiquette", anything above four lines is probably
inappropriate except in extreme situations.  That's why many news
posting interfaces reject everything after the fourth line of a
.signature file.

  Also, signatures are supposed to contain useful information.  Three
lines of @'s is not useful information.  Therefore, if all he really
needs to put into his signature is his username and address, he should
have a one-line signature, with about twenty characters in it.  THAT
would be an acceptable signature.  My point is that the question isn't
whether his signature is wasteful or not compared to other signatures,
but rather whether his signature is wasteful *in and of itself*.

  However, quite frankly, I'd rather see 11 lines of useful
information than 4 lines of @'s.

>   Now think: News is compressed. How much bandwith is required to send
>              a continuous stream of '@' chars, a few bytes of text,
>              and then more '@' chars. Please include the 3 cr's
>              also. I leave this as a problem to the reader. It costs
>              less then sending the average 5 line sig with no repeating
>              characters.

  Not ALL news is compressed.  As much as we don't like to admit (and
as much as we are trying to change it), there are still sites out
there that get their news unbatched and/or uncompressed.

  Furthermore, one place where news is *not* compressed is when the
reader is viewing it.  Ideally, an 11-line signature with lots of
blank space in it (in the best case, represented as tab characters)
will sometimes be transmitted across a tty line faster than a 4-line @
signature.  A 4-line normal signature containing useful information
will definitely be transferred faster than the @ signature.  I'm not
sure where the line can be drawn, but I'd say you can get away with a
lot longer signature (in terms of lines) for the same transportation
costs (in terms of the time it takes it to be sent to the user's
terminal) if the signature has lots of blank space, which is usually
the case when it represents useful information.

  And finally, I just don't like seeing three solid lines of @ in a
posting.  It hurts my eyes.  It is abrasive.  It is annoying.  Just my
opinion, of course, but apparently an opinion shared by many people on
the net.

>   Personally I think the guy has a bad attitude for MAYBE 1 of the
>   postings he has made. So what is my opinion. But flaming him
>   for a .sig is just plain silly in my viewpoint. It shows some
>   people aren't thinking when they let their fingers do the
>   typing(aka: disconnect brain, start typing).

  Or that "some people" have read and understood the rules of
netiquette and understand that signatures are supposed to contain
useful information and useful information only.  This is not a hard
and fast rule that can never even possibly be broken (e.g. Peter da
Silva's (sp?) signature with the little drawing in it is probably OK),
but a signature containing three lines of @ almost definitely crosses
the line.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710