[comp.unix.questions] There is a pas2c. Is there a c2pas?

slavitch@spock (Michael Slavitch) (11/24/89)

Hi,
         For those on comp.unix.questions, this is not a unix question, but rather a unix _tool_ question.

	I've had a chance to browse through the uunet tape at our site and I
noticed that an ANSI Pascal -> c converter is available on it. Unfortunately,
there is no c -> ANSI Pascal converter on that tape. Would there be someone,
somewhere in netville that would have access to such? It would make life here
a lot easier. Hand-translating state tables from c to Pascal is akin to the
sound of fingernails scratching on a chalkboard.

	If it sounds like I'm begging. It's only because I am.

	Please E-mail a response to me, rather than posting. I may not be able
to monitor all these newsgroups.

Michael.

--
  (signoff follows)
Michael Slavitch --------------------------------->  uunet!mitel!spock!slavitch

antony@lbl-csam.arpa (Antony A. Courtney) (11/25/89)

I highly doubt there is or will ever be a C to Pascal converter.

Show me pointers to functions in Pascal and maybe I'll start to consider it a
_REAL_ language!  :-)

				antony
Antony A. Courtney				antony@lbl.gov
Advanced Development Group			ucbvax!lbl-csam.arpa!antony
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory			AACourtney@lbl.gov

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (11/26/89)

In article <4289@helios.ee.lbl.gov> antony@lbl-csam.arpa (Antony A. Courtney) writes:

>I highly doubt there is or will ever be a C to Pascal converter.

I agree - but not _only_ because of the weakness of Pascal.
The semantics of C is so irregular that I doubt the feasibility
of a converter from C to _any_ high-level language
(I didn't say 'any other' because I classify C as a medium-level language).

>Show me pointers to functions in Pascal and maybe I'll start to consider it a
>_REAL_ language!  :-)

All right: any function appearing as a formal parameter of another function
or procedure is in effect a pointer to a function;
you didn't say it should be a first-class type (or variable). :-)

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland