[comp.unix.questions] binary editor?

MATHRICH@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel UMC Math Department) (11/28/89)

Does anyone know of a binary editor for sunos 4.x?

Thanks,
Rich Winkel
MATHRICH@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU

drears@pica.army.mil (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) (11/28/89)

Rich:

   You write:

>Does anyone know of a binary editor for sunos 4.x?

   Sure.  Try GNU emacs.  It is available for anonymous ftp on
prep.ai.mit.edu.

Dennis

chang@stubby.UUCP (W. Terence Chang) (11/28/89)

In article <21541@adm.BRL.MIL>, MATHRICH@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Rich Winkel UMC Math Department) writes:
> Does anyone know of a binary editor for sunos 4.x?

There is a binary editor program posted in comp.sources.unix volume 1.

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (11/30/89)

In article <21541@adm.BRL.MIL>, MATHRICH@umcvmb (Rich Winkel UMC Math Department) writes:
| Does anyone know of a binary editor for sunos 4.x?

Besides Emacs?
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (11/30/89)

Department) writes:
> | Does anyone know of a binary editor for sunos 4.x?
>
> Besides Emacs?
I would hardly call EMACS a binary editor... Anyways, how about zap from
comp.sources.unix. It's about as generic of a binary editor as you can get
like ed for binary files...

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (12/01/89)

In article <1039@awdprime.UUCP> woan.austin.ibm.com!ron writes:
>I would hardly call EMACS a binary editor...

Try the hexl mode for Gnu Emacs posted to *.emacs about a year ago.
It is a real win when editting binary files.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

mje@olsa99.UUCP (Mark J Elkins) (12/05/89)

From article <1039@awdprime.UUCP>, by ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan):
> In article <5289@omepd.UUCP>, merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
>> In article <21541@adm.BRL.MIL>, MATHRICH@umcvmb (Rich Winkel
> Department) writes:
>> | Does anyone know of a binary editor for sunos 4.x?
>> Besides Emacs?
> I would hardly call EMACS a binary editor... Anyways, how about zap....

If zap is a follow-up from ed, then you should try 'xvi' - a Binary editor
with 'vi' :-) like commands. Runs in either Hex or Octal with Ascii.
(Is it not in the public sources?)
--
  .  .     ___. .__       Olivetti Africa, Unix 'Everything-except-sales'
 /| /|       / /__        UUCP: uunet!olsa99!mje (Mark J Elkins)